Friday, June 08, 2007

Norah, Cale, and Abby

An Overdue Norah Update

I realized a few days ago that it’s been a while since I’ve given an official update on Norah’s progress into toddlerhood. I’ve been having such fun posting caption-resistant photos every Wednesday and waxing melodramatically about slimy drainage tunnels, that I’ve forgotten that without my willingness to turn the focus away from myself for a few moments…you, my faithful readers, are unable to enjoy the subtle changes that make up day-to-day life with Little Lutine.

The primary change since last we spoke of it is that she’s dramatically increased the speed with which she can reach forbidden objects by rejecting the crawling method of locomotion and charging into walking. She took her first steps about a month ago. Then, in typical Norah fashion, she proceeded to ignore her new ability for about a week or so (just to play it cool) before standing up and toddling across the room. These days…she crawls infrequently and falls to her butt quite often. In fact, the most precise gauge of Norah’s mood these days is her reaction to falling. Giggle or utter lack of concern is the normal response and indicates she is in her typical high-spirited frame of mind. Whining or a few seconds of pouting tells us she’s getting tired or hungry. And rarely, we see a full on meltdown…and this usually means it’s well past her bedtime or that she’s not been napping well.

She’s fascinated with boxes and containers these days. Taking things out of or putting things into boxes is pure joy. We find her toys stacked haphazardly in the basket that holds Arlo’s dog toys. Or stuffed into decorative vases. Or dropped over the gate that leads to our attic bedroom. Or pretty much anywhere else she notices a toy will fit.

She has no words yet, but she has a few signs she will occasionally use. Anything that runs around on four legs gets a slap to her thigh (doggie). And a sudden lack of cereal on her tray will occasionally warrant the tips of all her fingers being bounced together (more). Waving is thrilling and she has been known to wave to the television if a character says “goodbye.” Clapping has also become an exciting past time, but it is usually in response to some one else clapping. Last night, however, she seemed to applaud herself upon rescuing her reindeer puppet from the bottom of the clothes hamper.

She’s slimmed down. Her newly active lifestyle has severely reduced the number of chins she sports. In the last month, she’s gained quite a bit of height and held her weight steady…a sure sign of a more svelte Norah.

She’s become obsessed with stuffed animals. As she makes her ways around the house, she often has a plush friend tucked under her arm. And she giggles more when we animate the animals for her in play. I can only assume that she’s made the connection that the abstract shapes form rough approximations of faces. This clearly delights her.

She’s finally going to sleep easily. After a bit of practice and learning on both sides we can, on the vast majority of nights, bathe her, read her a story, sit with her fir just a minute or two with the light off, lay her (still awake) in her crib, and walk away. It is a glorious, glorious feeling every time it happens. I walk away and pause, still expecting to hear angry wails…but none come. She calmly watches me go as she rolls over to sleep with her little butt in the air.


In short, she’s growing up wonderfully. And though I frequently forget to bring everyone up to speed on her development, the changes from the front lines are just astounding. Almost every day brings some small growth and I’m just in awe watching the process.


The Twins Come Home

Cale Gets Love from his Daddy and Big BrotherI don’t think I’ve mentioned it here before (and in retrospect, I’m not sure why), but my cousin Caleb and his wife, Summer, have been expecting twins. Long-time readers will remember Caleb as the guy after which Norah was almost named. The twins finally arrived about two weeks ago, a girl and a boy…Abby and Cale. They were held at the hospital for a while since they were born just a bit early (totally normal for twins), but I just got word this morning that both of the newborns have made the trip home where they can snuggle in with their big brother, Austin.

Abby, Cale and Austin with their proud GrandmaAnd while this might not be the most exciting bit of story telling for those of you who don’t know Caleb and his family… I’m quite excited about it all and wanted to do my part to spread what I consider to be wonderful news.

Welcome aboard, Cale and Abby!

14 comments:

Anna said...

There is nothing like Daddy's little girl....take it from me! Lovely update! Savor every second...it all goes by so quickly!

Anna said...

Oh and sweet pictures!

Anna said...

I responded to your comment on my post...
I am glad that you liked the picture!

Tal said...

So happy that you get to enjoy that glorious, glorious feeling most nights! Congratulations!

Mark said...

Good update, MG. She's shedding her baby ways for the way of the toddler.

By the way, "Every day brings some small growth," eh? Um, I think doctors can remove those, even from babies and toddlers.

;-)

One Wink at a Time said...

Mark, hee hee on the growth thing.
I love, love, love watching Norah grow :-) And I love that you're so in touch with the little details.
There's nothing quite like creating a child and watching her/him develop a personality. The cool part is what they do on their own, the things beyond what you teach them.

Melanie said...

Norah is simply adorable!! I really enjoyed this update about her. You bring home this little helpless baby who can't do anything at all, then watch as amazing little changes take place. It's such an honor to be able to create a little person!!

Congrats on that glorious, glorious feeling of being able to put her into her crib AWAKE!! I know that is one thing I can't wait for Hailey to do- go to sleep on her own.

Mark said...

I was just thinking today that people who never have kids really never will know. They just won't.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But, although I still say I could have been happy in life without having a child, now that I have one, I can't imagine never experiencing the feelings that come with it. It's just amazing.

"Call me when he's 14 and then we'll talk," right? Yeah, yeah, but I'm not there yet, so I'm enjoying it while I can!

Anonymous said...

Norah will ALWAYS interest all your readers, Moksha, so don't hesitate to spotlight her whenever you feel like it. And she IS a spotlight worthy child, too, the way she's charging into learning. She's progressing at amazing speed. My Xavier's more of a quiet, careful sort of baby - he's doing good on his development and I'm really proud of him, but there's a good many tricks Norah could teach him (he just WON'T wave bye bye or clap his hands, no matter how many demonstrations he gets, hehe).

I loved the pictures, too, especially the "flower among flowers" one.

And birth announcements are always nice, even when we don't know the people involved - as long as there are pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the Norah updates!

Congrats to your cousin for the twins... I can't help but think... Did they name the little boy after your family pet? Am I right that this was your dad's dog's name? Either way I love the name! :)

Moksha Gren said...

Anna - Thanks for inflating my comment counter. It's nice to have three comments so quickly after posting. A little odd to have all of them from one person...but hey, I'll take it ;) And thanks for the kind words, too.

Tal - Most nights. Although she seems lately to have aded a new annoyance to compensate for the easy sleep. She's waking earlier. It seems she'll let us choose which end the difficulty arrives...but there must be trouble on one end of the sleep cycle. :)

Mark - No need...luckily it's just the same small growth that keeps popping up in various places.

Linda - Couldn't agree more.

Melanie - Thanks for coming by on a non-Wednesday. And hang i nthere with Hailey, it'll probably happened soon. Norah used to ry so hard she'd throw up. It was a slow process, to be sure, but even she got there.

Mark (again) - I know what you mean. If someone could have really explained the details of raising a child (and had me realy listen) I think it might have scared me off. But, somehow, when you're doing it...it's wonderful. The intangible rewards that just can't be explained more than make up for the inconvienences and slepless nights. And since there's no way to really express that to someone who has never been through it...it's probably a good thing we can't really explain the frustrations either...lest we frighten everyone away. ;)

Emily - Xavier is doing wonderfully. He's got quite a few tricks that Norah hasn't touched yet. And I remember he was moving around your house long before Norah thought about it.

And thanks on the pictures. She makes it easy sine she's quite the photogenic little girl. I have no idea where she gets it since neither of her parents are particularly close to being models ;)

Hokey - Good memory! And no..it was a complete coincidence since Caleb didn't even remember that Dad's dog was Cale.

Anonymous said...

It's fun to read the Norah updates. She is adorable. I agree that it's facinating watching them develop. CK changes every day.

Norah is getting lots of good coverage this week between your update and Duke's Happy Monday :) She looked so cute in the pool.

Anonymous said...

The picture with Norah and the Tom Waitts hair just cracks me up because she looks so serious!

Anonymous said...

I sure have some catching up to do. I appreciate your willingness to share what is going on with your family. Norah is a doll, and I always enjoy baby pictures, even when they are of babies I don't know.