Monday, June 25, 2007

Commenter Appreciation: Mike

Mike is a relatively new commenter round these parts, but it's great to have him on board and it's always fun to see what he's doing over on his blog. I met Mike through Anna who I met through Mark who I already appreciated last Thursday. It’s a testimate to the connectivity of the Internet that through my blog friend in Texas I found a photoblogger in London who had a blog in her blog roll called “Ozark Photos.” I said to myself, “Hey…I grew up in the Ozarks!” and the resulting history has been stamped in the comment sections of both of our sites.

Mike likes front porches. He likes talking about front porches. He likes sitting on front porches. But, most significantly for his blog, he likes photographing front porches. And so the last time I was up at my in-laws Iowa farmhouse, it was with Mike in mind that I trekked outside before breakfast (before Breakfast, Mike!!) just to take the following shots.







Click to enlarge photos and check out Mike's photos at Ozark Photos.

8 comments:

Anna said...

I love Mike's images.

His porches are great! I can't even remember how I found Mike but I have to get a daily dose....I love these shots you took and I am sure that Mike will too! :)

You are form a great area...the Ozarks are magnificent! I have never lived there but my kids have gone to KANAKUK KAMP there and want to go again once we are Stateside. We spent time on the beautiful Table Rock Lake at Big Cedar Lodge. Stunning scenery. I would love to live there when I get older.

Have a good week!

Mark said...

Very nice shots, and porch, too.

Hey, Anna, many of my friends went to Kanakuk.

Indeed, Mike was a pleasantly surprising find on Anna's blog. Thanks to him, I can more the just dream of still living in or near the Ozarks.

Anna said...

WOW...such a small world! Very cool. I am sure that you both miss being there...

Anonymous said...

Gee I am getting a big head. You guys are great and it is fun sharing pictures with you all.

I am very proud of you for getting up before breakfast to get that wonderful glowing shot. An Iowa farmhouse...what memories. I lived in Northern Iowa for about four years when I was in elementary school. One nice place to grow up. I used to play for hours on a front porch like this one.

See what memories a front porch can stir up!

Thanks for the recognition, I really appreciate it and Happy Birthday too!

Simon said...

This post makes me kind of sad. I realise that I've never grown up near nor I think ever had the opportunity to truly enjoy a front porch. The best I can claim is having lived in a few houses with a concrete front STEP that would sometimes fill in as a barber's chair as my mom cut my hair.

But a real live, honest-to-gosh front porch has never been part of my reality. A part of me weeps.

Another part of me thinks that there aren't a whole lotta them in many parts of Canada.

"What in the hell ya wanna go an' sit outside fer, eh? Watch the snow plow salt the roads again and yell at 'im when he blocks your car in when you know damn well you should'a moved it last night? C'mon, get yer things. We're going curling."

One Wink at a Time said...

Very cool porches. Porches rule.

Mark said...

Simon - Yeah, I'm guessing that in your area the cold keeps people from enjoying a front porch. That's kind of funny, because before air conditioners in the South, that's the only place folks could go to cool off in the summer. The houses were sweltering in the humidity and only the porches gave occasional reprieve from the still dampness.

Vlado&Toni said...

wow those porches look really good, would have love to sit on one of them :) unfortunately don't have one and don't know anybody who has one. such things are not commom here.