Tuesday, June 05, 2007

An Afternoon McGuyverism

There’s very little in this world that I love more than a good McGuyverism. Not quotes from the show, mind you. I never watched the show. I’m talking about jury-riggin’…a little good, old-fashioned Ozark ingenuity, as my Dad would have called it. I enjoy the three-toothpicks-and-a-tube-of-toothpaste type challenges and like to think I’m a good one to have on your side when creative use of the tools at hand is required.

Trixalot, my network admin, says I get a particular look in my eye before I dart off to the warehouse to grab some long forgotten piece of junk that could be used in whatever current crisis we’re facing. And he would know. In the six years we’ve worked together, he’s seen me tackle many of these types of problems.

When moving into our current office, Trixalot and I were charged with crafting a new home for our servers. I got five six-and-a-half-foot tall, enclosed server racks at a storage locker auction for $25 total and then set about trying to figure out the cooling. This involved ducting the air from a window AC unit across the room into the case using cardboard, duct tape, and dryer vent hose. It was a monstrosity to behold, but from it we were able to learn the best placement for an AC unit to vent into the server rack. Plus it was a load of fun to make.

And today I got to have just a bit of McGuyver fun.

We’ve been having trouble with our AC here at work lately. Out came Mike, the HVAC guy, to climb on our roof and inspect each of our four rooftop units. About ten minutes later, one of my upstairs co-workers rushed into my downstairs office with a tale of “water everywhere.” Now, I know how these things tend to get exaggerated, so I calmly asked where and how much. She merely responded, “it’s coming from the ceiling…it’s everywhere!” before zipping back out in a panic.

I walked up the stairs and was actually surprised how much of a mess there was. Certainly not “water everywhere” but there was a pretty steady stream dripping and spraying from a return air vent. Tiny trash cans from various desks had been collected and strewn haphazardly in the general vicinity of the spray, but there was no way to really catch everything because it was dripping randomly from about a four by four area and splattering through the vent screen.

I ran outside and shot up the HVAC guy’s ladder and let him know what was happening. He sort of nodded said, “Yup…that would be happening. AC was frozen up and it’s defrosting. I’d say get some trash cans.”

“How much ice are we talking about?” I asked.

He gestured into the belly of the unit and I squatted for a better angle. A huge block of ice filled the six-foot long enclosure. I sighed and returned to the seen of the mess, grabbing Trixalot from his server room office as I went. We removed the ceiling tiles first to keep them from getting too damaged. Then we took the screen off the vent, hoping to mitigate the splash/spray effect. But neither really changed the amount of splatter hitting the carpet. And then I’m told I got that particular look in my eye.

I rushed to the warehouse with Trixalot in tow. Tucked away on a high shelf, forgotten since the days of our eBay drop-off service, was a dispenser once used for foam packing peanuts. A large, roughly funnel shaped device, I was hopeful we could use it to channel the water into one central can. Add in some string to attach it to the rafters and suddenly, we had a salvaged floor.

I tell this story not because it was the most clever thing I’ve ever done, nor even a particularly difficult jury-rig. Rather, it’s just that being ripped away from writing an instruction manual to our store managers on procedures for reporting and deleting trade lines from our customers’ credit reports to manically construct an impromptu water catcher made me smile. As I write this, my dress slacks are dirty from dust and mucky water. I probably stink just a little from sprinting up and down ladders in a dress shirt not designed for breathability in an office with defective AC. And I’m only now, at 3 sitting down to eat my lunch. But, I’m smiling anyway. Because there’s very little in this world that I love more than a good McGuyverism.

9 comments:

Josh & Emily said...

Very impressive young grasshopper.
My first thought when I saw the picture was your invention/solution to the problem of using the restroom at an awkward time. (nothing like posting a comment on a public blog that only 2 people understand, sorry everyone).

Mark said...

Great job, and great post.

Now that's Ozark ingenuity for ya.

If you don't have the right tool for the job, then by God make one.

Now that you're on a roll, I've been hearing this drip sound every time... nah, nevermind. I want to same something for myself.

Moksha Gren said...

Oh, I dunno, Jet. I think some folks will follow just fine. I mean...Simon for one revels in his own personal gutter. :)

But yes...that would have been another excellent McGuyverism...had I built it.

Anna said...

I see that you have been skilled in the ways of the Jedi! Very nice!

One of the reasons that I love America is because I feel like so many people think outside the box and are visionaries......making something out of nothing always fascinates me.

Kudos to you! :)

Simon said...

I don't know if I revel so much as wallow, but I appreciate your innate recognition of my standard state of being.

How you managed to tear yourself away from a procedural instruction manual to play with a former packing peanut dispenser and run up and down ladders is nearly beyond me. (Credit reports... yeah!)

Actually, what I'm really jealous of is the picture of an office space with access to a window. I'll have that in about a month's time when we finally move offices and I get out of this sequestered telephone booth, but I didn't even have any idea yesterday that it was stormin' something fierce outside until my wife called me and told me a small tornado touched down in a nearby town.

Anonymous said...

That does it. I'm now going to start calling you 'Richard Dean Anderson.'

I'm sure there is some sort of television show on the Discover Channel or TLC that features this kind of thing. Ever do anything like this for a team in high school?

Moksha Gren said...

UPDATE - It's leaking again. I waited until morning to deconstruct my contraption...and about an hour later...it started again. So I put it back up. I'm now convinced it's condensate leaking and not just melting ice as I was told. Mike, the HVAC guy, is coming back this afternoon.

Anna- I've heard this before about Americans vs. British...and have a hard time imagining an entire society in which such thinking doesn't occur. But then..they have double decker buses...how is that not jury-rig thinking?

Simon - Oh..the upstairs folks get windows...we basement dwellers are just as clueless about the weather as you are.

Alvis - Never in high school. But I went to the nation finals in Odyssey of the Mind three times in elementary school.

Anonymous said...

Shoot, I had almost missed this post, and went directly to the WW one. Nothing like a good office space / McGuyver story, too.

One Wink at a Time said...

You must have done a great job of sneaking this in here, I missed it completely.
Nifty emergency rig you did!