Saturday, November 25, 2006

A Thanksgiving Picture Post

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving. Although we didn’t get to spend as much time with family as we’d like, what we did get was wonderful.

My cousin NoNo from Reno was able to come and meet Norah and I was particularly thankful for that.

NoNo and Norah

I'm also thankful for the impromtu concerts that inevitably break out when we're at MoMa's. Uncle Norman on guitar, MoMa on mountain dulcimer and Jet’s hand on rhythm guitar.

Thanksgiving Concert at MoMa's

No pictures of the meal itself...I was too busy shoveling in food.

____________________

Redneck Yacht ClubOk, this is off the subject. But I wanted to post this because I know Mark likes interesting business signage. In addition, this place is about 5 minutes from where I grew up...so there's some element in shame involved here. There are all sorts of jokes I could make about this place, but I’ll leave the wit to you. Sorry about the blurry shot but this was as still as I could hold without a tripod for this lowlight shot.

5 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

MG, love the pictures! Nono looks enthralled with Norah, no surprise. I love that your family breaks out the music like that for the holiday. That's one of the things I miss most about my dad since he died... The Redneck Yacht Club is too funny! Are there lots of rafts with sheds duct-taped to them anchored out back???

Steven M. said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I guess I'll have to imagine the food. Here in Japan we tried to make due with what we have, but it's just not the same. I think Norah's expression looking at Nono is funny, like, "Wha??" I wish I could hear the music, I didn't know MoMa played.

Moksha Gren said...

OWaaT - The music is a new tradition in our family. No one has been playing for very long, but once a few of us reached for an instrument, others follwed suit. Well, Moonshot has been playing piano forever...but that doesn't usually factor into our old-timey jam sessions.

Glad you enjoyed the Yacht Club. Sadly, the owners of the establishment aren't as clever as I thought. Turns out they just named it after a hit country song. I'm not sure it that makes the bar and grill near MoMa's house more or less pathetic.

Simon - We never claimed to be fancy, but what else would we call a mountain dulcimer?

I'm slowly working my way through SoS these days. I don't know why I didn't read it the first time through...I just got behind and never took the time to go back and read it. I didn't realize that it would become so significant to his future writings.

Matt - Like I mentioned above...we're all new to the music thing. Moonshot and I got MoMa her dulcimer last Christmas. You'd be welcome to join in the fun next time you're around. We might even cook you some Thanksgiving type food since you missed it in Japan.

Mark said...

Musical families are great! My brother pulled out his guitar over our Thanksgiving weekend. He's the only one who plays -- I just sing, unless somebody has a Euphonium nearby.

Lovin' the sign! Reminds me of something a friend told a girl he brought back for our 10-year high school reunion. She was impressed that the dinner/dance portion was being held at a country club. He laughed and said, "No, it's more like a country club."

Moksha Gren said...

Fair enough. I thought maybe you guys called it something different up there. But I guess, you're right...it's not your typical instrument. MoMa's choice in instruments was somewhat limited by an old injury to her middle finger (never stopped her from flyin' it liberally, though). She can't bend that finger well enough to fret a typical stringed instrument. So, to properly jam with Uncle Norman, she needed a slide instrument. That left the mountain dulcimer or the dobro. And since Ol' Salvo was already learning the dobro...she opted for the "fancy" mountain dulcimer.