Monday, November 27, 2006

A Red Letter Day

It’s sort of a dreary day here in St. Louis, but I’m eating my lunch of Thanksgiving leftovers and feeling pretty lucky to be me. You see, November 27th is a pretty important day to me.

It was exactly two years ago that Moonshot stopped being my girlfriend and became my wife. And while quite a bit has changed in the last two years…I still feel just as thrilled as I did on that day to have found someone who fits me so well

And it was exactly one year ago that Moonshot and I discovered we would be having a baby. We’d been trying for a few months, but it was November 27th that we first knew. We had booked a night in a local bed and breakfast to celebrate our year together. A bed and breakfast because it felt sufficiently decadent; a local one because we’d just been traveling for Thanksgiving and didn’t want to travel again. We had been eying the Booneslick Trail Inn for years. It’s right across from the Trailhead Brewery, one of our favorite local restaurants, and it looked so inviting. But staying in a B&B that’s less than a mile from our house had always seemed ridiculous…until we wary travelers went looking for a fake getaway. So, we spent our romantic retreat reading newly purchased books on pregnancy, talking to Moonshot’s belly, and generally getting ourselves excited about the future.

We still go to the Trailhead Brewery quite often, but now Norah comes with us too. I look up at the windows of that inn every time and remember our excitement.

Both my wife and my daughter have made me a luckier man than I ever had a right to expect And they both became permanent parts of my life on this date. So you see, November 27th is a pretty important day to me.

5 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

So Happy for you MG. I bet you're smiling hard today :-) I love happy stuff!

Mark said...

Wow. Happy double-versary.

I smiled as I read it, and it's a good thought before I turn in for the evening.

Moksha Gren said...

Thanks, you guys. I appreciate the warm thoughts (and even the smartass comments, Jet ;)

It was a fairly low-key 27th at the Gren house this year. But that was actually a nice change this time. Maybe next year we'll be ready to pawn Jolly Green off on a grandparent (or a generous uncle) and hit a nice B&B (maybe Eureka, Mark).

Erica said...

I'm late again, but Happy Pregiversary! That's a wonderful way to start the week, and even though I don't personally know you and your family, I'm as happy for you as if I did. :-) You have something truly special, and the best thing is, you KNOW it.

Moksha Gren said...

Thanks, Erica. It's actaully nice that you came by a day late. Better to spread these warm fuzzy happy thoughts from across the Interweb out over a few days...make the feeling last.