Monday, July 30, 2007

One Already?!

Somehow, as if by magic…my daughter has turned a year old. As I type this, it seems impossible that the astounding moment when I first held her was a year ago. It seems too vivid in my mind to have been so long ago. Ask me again in five minutes and I’ll tell you that it seems impossible that our home was childless a mere 12 months ago. I am amazed at the lightning speed of time and simultaneously at the seemingly contradictory infinity that has somehow fit itself in these recent 365.

And this, I am learning, is a consistent theme in parenting. The ability to make peace with contradiction. I have spent a good deal of time this last year wishing I could get away for some personal time while simultaneously not wanting to miss a thing she does. My excitement to see her master new skills is almost equally matched by my desire for her to slow down so I can absorb as much as I can of each moment. She is infuriating and inexpressibly lovable. She is disgusting and overwhelming cute. She saps your energy and refuels you in the same instant.

I do not pretend to understand it.

We realized recently that although we are still just getting our feet wet with this whole parenting thing, was are, as of her first birthday, 5.56% of the way finished raising her to independence. Sure, it’s still a small percentage…but much larger than seems possible. Eighteen years seemed so huge when I was eighteen. Now, although it’s still a bit of a stretch, I can measure that time…and it’s alarming.

Anyway, family and friends piled into the Grenstead over the weekend to celebrate the Little Lutine’s astounding achievement of surviving under my and Moonshot’s care for a full year. Norah had a blast and seemed to handle the sensory overload of the event better than I would have expected. I plan on writing a more full description of the event soon, once I’ve dug through the photos that should accompany the story. I didn’t take many pictures, myself…mired as I was in vital hostly duties like spinning in place trying to decide where I needed to be. I snapped a few prior to the party and a few after…but the bulk of the get-together was lost in a haze of photo forgetfulness. Luckily, fellow blogger Stephanie from over at Breakfast at Stephanie’s was there to point her trusty Nikon at all the things I was missing. She tells me she took a minimum of 200 pictures and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of said files. And though I would never wish poor Stephanie to regret serving as the party photographer…a few friendly comments posted over at her site might just get some photos up at the Impish Gren a bit faster ;)

Thanks to everyone who came, everyone who sent cards and gifts, and everyone who sent birthday wishes in some electronic format or another. Norah’s pretty self-centered right now and is therefore unlikely to say thank you for it all. But know that her Daddy was deeply moved by all the fuss being made over his darling, one-year-old (!) girl.

11 comments:

Simon said...

I look forward to seeing the photos from the big event. And it really is such a big thing... for you guys anyway.

In the mean time, I will concur wholeheartedly with the sentiment, "I do not pretend to understand it."

Mark said...

Here's my agreement with "I do not pretend to understand it." It's quite befuddling, really, and this week will leave me with the bittersweet taste of being away from my boy for a full six days.

Pics, we need pics! Come one, Stephanie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the alarming percentage! I used to say to Frank "see now, he'll be born soon, and then he'll grow up really really fast, and then we'll be old people before we know it - no stopping it now". Now he's already born and walking... Oi.

Gotta go. Glad little Norah had a great party :D Awaiting pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow! No pressure or anything:) Luckily, my own little darling of 5 months was a good girl yesterday and allowed me some time to get the pictures onto a CD. There are some really good ones, but then I had a really good subject :)

The party was a lot of fun. I'm glad Mus, CK, and I could share the special day with Norah.

Josh & Emily said...

Good times had by all. Look forward to seeing the pictures!

Moksha Gren said...

Simon - Yeah, she didn't really get too much out of it. I mean...she enjoyed the cake and has a new pile of toys to love on...but the significance of the day was certainly lost on her.

Mark - I know it's got to be rough being away from Ben for a week. The upside is that it will force you to master the art of web cam conferencing. And then you can teach Simon and me. And then we can all sit around mocking each other's accents in person. So you know...as you sit in your hotel room, missing Shan and Ben...look on the bright side.

Course...times are pretty bleak when Si and I are the "bright side"

Emilie - As much as I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Norah's party...I figure I was there so I know what it all looked like. Xavier's party on the other hand...

Awaiting pictures :D

Stephanie - Thank you so much for playing photographer. And thanks for getting to the cd so quickly. And thanks, CK, for doing your part to make that happen.

And thanks for being there. I don't feel like I got to spend as much time with you..or anybody there, really...as I'd have liked. But that's how these things go, I guess.

Jet - I only wish we had some pictures of our game of Extreme Horse. Alas...it will exist only in our memories...

Anonymous said...

Watch out next she will be 16! Trust me I know.

Simon said...

I'm dying of curiosity regarding the game of "Extreme Horse". But do I *really* want to know? Um, neigh.

I should take offense at being snubbed as a third-rate sort of bright side, but I just can't.

Melanie said...

I have a 10 month old and I know her first birthday is approaching all too quickly! Your post has me all misty eyed!

The days are long, but the years are short.

John Haney said...

Happy Birthday to Norah!!

Also, I'd like to see that 5.56% adjusted for the relative lifespan you mentioned a while back... :-)

carmilevy said...

I found your link on Anna's site, so I decided to follow it home. I'm so glad I did. Your homage to your daughter's first birthday rings so true - our youngest child just celebrated his seventh, and as I have done for the past few years, I reflected on this milestone in a blog entry.

I love the spirit with which you wrote about her. She is a lucky little girl to have a dad who gets it as you so clearly do. I look forward to reading more. And to seeing more of your magical photos.