Thursday, January 31, 2008

With any luck, I’ll be unemployed by Saturday

Well, not totally unemployed. I’ll still have that store I own with my brother, but that’s not making any money yet so I barely count it. My job, the thing I’ve done from 8:30 til 5:30 every weekday for the past seven years will cease to exist with just a few swift flourishes of pen. You see, if everything goes as planned, the company I work for (and own some infinitesimal portion of) will be sold to a massive company that makes its bread and butter munching up small companies like ours. It terrifies me and excites me and basically has me turning circles in my own head as I try to plan ahead. We’ve been working on this deal for just about a year, during which time my family could make no real long term plans. With such massive change looming on the horizon, I was hesitant to commit too much of anything. “Just another month,” I’ve been telling myself for far too many months, "and the deal will either collapse or go through, either way, I’ll know how things sit.”

Uncertainty sucks.

Actually, in the spirit of full disclosure, I guess I won’t be truly unemployed right away. There will be wrapping up to do. The corporate equivalent of folding up the chairs and pulling down the streamers after a wedding reception. It’s not work I’m looking forward to, a bit depressing actually to box up everything and close the lid. But, I’ll be around for that for a couple weeks after the stores and employees are all gone. And then? Well, first I’ll need to spend some quality time with the company JET and I own together since I’ve been negligent on that front recently. I’ll focus my energies and hope we can start turning a profit off that business before the financial cushion I get from Saturday’s sale dwindles down and my daughter starts wondering why we’re using old newspapers on her bum instead of diapers.

To tell the truth, I’m actually kind of looking forward to this aspect (no, not the newpapered bum, the working in our store.) JET has done a wonderful job of running everything up there in my absence, but taking more of an active roll in that investment will be good for my stress level. Plus, even though I haven’t been spending as much time as I should have with that enterprise, I did work at it. It was a second job that took time away from my wife and daughter. It will be nice to have just one occupational focus. Who knows, maybe it will give me more time to write.

What’s that? You noticed my lack of recent blog posts? Yeah, between the race toward the sale on the one hand and handing the year end financial duties for the JET partnership (W2s, W3s, 1099s, 1096s, 941s, 942s, etc, etc, etc until you start tugging at your hair and scratching at your eyeballs) on the other, I’ve been spending enough time staring at my computer screen that when the day is done, no part of my mind finds it desirable to spend even one more second typing. I’ve even been rather absent at quite a few of the sites I usually made a point to visit and converse on. I look to remedy my rudeness when things settle down.

Anyway, that’s about all the time I have to spare. I need to get back to telecom transfers so the new owners can take over our accounts. It’s not thrilling…but it’s one of a million things that need to get done before Saturday if I am to make my goal of being unemployed.

9 comments:

Simon said...

Moksha, it's inspiring to see someone so upbeat at the prospect of being unemployed in the near future. And while the fallback of a cushion plays (I'm sure) no small part in the sense of freedom that is largely unfettered by worry, stress, and looming obligation, still the overall sense of gladness shines through in your words. 'Tis good to hear. Read. Whatever.

Still, dude, you really gotta type a few more words every now and again. I say that with absolutely no consideration for your own situation, and speak only for myself. So there.

Mark said...

So this doesn't mean running down to the unemployment office to sign up for your check? That's good. It might have made the story more interesting, but it was pretty good without it.

Congratulations on the closeness to closure. I hope the rest goes smoothly.

Moksha Gren said...

Simon - It's not really so much upbeat as it is releif. It's just been too long dragging along without knowing. At least now I can start plannnig...and that's a step in the right direction. Sure, I don't know what I'll end up planning, but just getting the greenlight to do begin is refreshing.

Yeah, yeah, I know I should write more. I should write little posts more often. But, that takes discipline...structure. We'll see how '08 shapes up in that respect.

Mark - Thanks. So far, so hectic. But that's good. I'll try to keep you posted on the developments.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I've never said this before - Hope you're unemployed soon!

It takes on an even weirder vibe when I think about saying that to the minister from my wedding:)

Anonymous said...

Saturday's almost here already.

It's good to have news, even though it's not clear whether they are good or bad news. However, you seem to be saying it is not as bad as it initially sounds, so... well, I guess what I'm trying to say is "Good luck" in your new ventures!

Moksha Gren said...

Elsa - I appriciate the odd well wishing. I have to refrain from saying "Oh thanks, same to you."

Emilie - It's not really clear to me whether it's good or not either...so your reading is accurate. The worst case was sitting around uncertain (which is where we were), so the sale is certainly better than that. Whether or not it turns out to be better than not selling will remain to be seen in the months to come. We'll see.

Anna said...

Moksha! You are back! I look forward to you making your obscene absence up to all of us! Hehehe.

I do hope things calm down soon...I just don't feel comfortable hoping you are unemployed.....yet! :)

Have a good week!

Amy said...

Congratulations on your unemployment. Trust me though, it isn't everything it is cracked up to be. B O R I N G I love being a stay at home mom but really when you feel as though your kids should call you Garcon! It is time to do something for yourself. I just announced to my hubby that I will seriously be looking for a part time job soon. For other reasons other than boredom.
So what is this store about??? What is in it??? AND why have we (I)not heard about it before???

Amy said...

When are we going to see some action here???