Friday, January 04, 2008

The Final Christmas of 2007

As it is with so many of life’s memorable experiences, there were good things and bad things about Christmas in Iowa with Moonshot’s family this year. On the plus side I’ll stack family togetherness and almost a foot of pristine snow that sparked a child-like twinkle in this gren’s eye. On the down side I’ll mention the countless hours of late night screaming our Little Lutine inflicted upon us. It seems routine has become quite important to the little miss and sleeping in her Pack-N-Play in a strange room was not on her list of acceptable alternatives to her own bed. The only thing that made her stop crying was to pick hr up and let her play. We were, inexplicably, unable to muster much enthusiasm for playtime at 3 in the morning.

Eat your heart out, Mark and Simon!But that’s enough about the down side. I’ll distract myself from the horrible memories by mentioning that I got one last present for the season. The bike previously mentioned was a combined gift from Moonshot’s family and had already been received, so Moonshot saved one of her presents for me so I’d have something to rip open in Iowa. A Star Wars Pop-Up book finished off my holiday season just right. It may well be the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. The light sabers actually light up for god’s sake. I would keep singing it’s praises…but the New York Times did it much better than I could.

Norah's new wheelsNorah received (among other things) a dump truck of her very own. And while she would, on occasion, fill the loader with her toys…she would typically just use the dumped loader to form a bucket seat for her oversized self.

It took some convincing to get everyone out in the snow. It seems not everyone shares my love of snowy fun. But, eventually they were convinced. Warm clothing was borrowed from Husker since I had failed to look at the weather before heading north. Had I known there would be so much snow I would have packed all my Colorado snow gear that sits unloved in my basement. Regardless, though…we trekked out to make a snowman.

Mouse and Moonshot: The proud parents of a tiny Rastafarian snowmanSadly, the powdery snow refused to stick. There would be no snowman. We amused ourselves for a little while with snowballs until I was distracted by the huge snow pile created by the plow. It was probably eight feet tall and at least 20 feet wide…a full sized adventure land of frozen joy. For a while it was fun to climb up and slide down or throw myself off the top in a white, powdery explosion. But eventually I found myself raiding Husker’s garage for digging tools. Moonshot and Mouse ignored my engineering efforts and contented themselves by making a miniature snow fried from the compacted snow I was removing from the bottom of the pile. An Exhausted Moksha, a bemused FreddyJ, and a lunar view of HobbesFreddyJ pretty much just stood there and laughed at me in a good-natured way. My goal was to burrow all the way through the pile…but after I realized that Moonshot and FreddyJ had gone inside and that Husker and Mouse were pretty much just waiting around to keep an eye on things in case the snow should collapse on me, I called the job complete after I connected the main entrance to the exit that was originally designed as a cave-in escape tunnel. It was much shorter than I had envisioned…but by god, it was a tunnel.

I would have swore everyone loves a snow tunnel...but apparently it's just meAnd I was proud.

(Clicking any picture reveals its true Christmasy goodness)

All Pictures by Husker

9 comments:

Amy said...

I wish I had your enthusiasm for snow. I keep thinking next year when the boys are older we will be able to get out and do more in the snow. They really don't like to get it on themselves. Making footprints is great until someone falls and gets a dusting on their pants. Talk about a meltdown!!!

John Haney said...

thank you for letting me bask in the true Christmasy goodness of your pictures!

The tunnel picture reminds me of great winters from years past... I'm pledging to play in the snow this year if we get more than 6 inches again!

Anonymous said...

Hum. The neighbour just spent the morning creating such a snow mountain to dig up the foundations of the many-houses construction side he's got developing in front of here. Not sure about the trespassing and insurance issues involved, but you just shed new light on that ugly pile of frosted water strewn with grass and dirt. Still... I think we'll stick to the 7' or so snow-slide my father dug up for Xavier at the front, it's pretty cool.

I'm glad you got to do some digging around the holidays, though - through past posts, we've had the chance to witness your joy for tunnels and snow.

I'll just say this post is missing pics of Norah! I mean there's never enough pic of the toddler, but for her to occupy only 20% of the set?! C'mon... ;)

Simon said...

Ah, truly I cannot envision a proper Christmas season without snow. Looks like you guys had a real blast. (Minus the wee girl's screaming, that is.) Thankfully, our small boy will sleep pretty much anywhere without complaint now, but that's not much more than rubbing salt in your wounds, something I don't take *much* pleasure in.

Keep your eyes on that book around May 10th... it just might start to grow legs and wander away from the gren-stead.

Mark said...

We know you will have replaced the batteries several times by May 10, but it better have a fresh set for that weekend.

Great shot of you in the snow tunnel, and I commend you for sticking to your efforts. Also, there's something to be said for convincing everyone else to go outside with you. They all are glad they did, I would venture.

I have much less luck getting anyone (besides the little kids, of course) to go outside with me on our family's holidays. Of course, I can't remember the last time we had snow at Christmas (here or in Arkansas).

Anna said...

Hey Moksha! Great tunnel. I would go crazy with that much snow. Happy New Year!

Moksha Gren said...

Amy - I had throught about bringing Norah out to play in the white stuff, but opted to just let her sleep. Maybe next year.

Mr Funny - It's my pleasure, sir. I had plenty of Christmasy goodness to go around, I felt selfish hording it all.

I often make the pledge to get out there and play in the snow any time I can...but it was so much easier when we were kids. It seems to take so much time and energy to get out there nowadays.

Emilie - A snow-slide? Also very cool. We tried to make a nice sled launch with the snow pile..but alas, there were not sled-like objects around.

I'll see if I can keep the cute kid picture ratio higher in future posts. Sorry to disappoint ;)

Simon - I'm actually happy to have that salt. It gives me hope that we are in a small window in which she understands her routine but cannot understand deviation. I'm hoping a short time will reveal a daughter who is more willing to sleep in strange locations. So the Fraser boys give me hope.

As part of new American security procedures, I will, of course, be required to search all your bags before you leave the grenstead.

Mark - Yes, I'm quite proud that I was able to shove all those comfortable people out into the cold. I'm not exactly sure that all of them would say they were happy I did...but luckily I was unable to hear any grumbling that may have existed since I was grinning ear to ear inside my snow tunnel.

Anna - Thanks. It could be said that I, myself, went just a bit crazy with that much snow.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am featured in 2 pictures in this post! I feel special. :)

I thought it was an excellent family get-together. I quite enjoyed being the official Snow-Safety Tunnel-Digging Observer. FreddyJ also got to continue his tradition of dumping me head-first into any available snowdrift, so he was happy too.

Anonymous said...

Alas, with 50* weather the snow tunnel is nothing more than a dirty pond in the back yard. I am glad we have pics to remember. I can't believe how fast it is all melting.

You left Norah's Winnie nightlight at our house. I have forwarded it to you, but I am surprised she is sleeping without it.

PS. I should have forwarded Katie with your nightlight. She is almost as difficult to manage at night as Norah was. 4:30 AM seems to be her "arise and play" alarm time. UGH! Do kittens ever grow up?