Monday, November 12, 2007

Ozark Oddities: Part I

People, particularly children, are poor judges of just how abnormal their normal environment is. Which is to say, we all assume until proven otherwise that the details of our daily existence are perfectly normal. I bring this up because I’ve been thinking a lot about the little corner of the world that I called home through my childhood lately. The series of stories I’m currently working on more or less takes place there, so I’ve been mentally wandering around the old locales of my childhood, looking for great locations for action, looking for colorful details to throw into the background. And what I’ve realized is that there is a great deal of oddity tucked away in the thick Ozark greenery.

Last weekend, the Gren clan ventured down to the Lake of the Ozarks to visit with MoMa. While there I cajoled the family into taking a little drive down the winding gravel roads that lead to the very rural property that I called home until 2nd grade. The old homestead itself didn’t hold much of use for my story, but there were two destinations for the drive…objects hiding down that old dusty road that I have come to realize, after being removed for so many years, are true rarities. I wanted to see them again to remind myself of their details. I’m not sure if I’ll use them or not, but nostalgia coupled with the prodding of a gren lurking in my imagination sent me directly to them.

Plus, it was a beautiful day for a drive.





Oddity #1: Imitation is the Highest Form of Flattery

There is a quiet clearing a few miles down the road from my family’s old farmhouse. I can’t recall the man’s name that owned it, but I do recall that my Dad was on friendly terms with him. Friendly enough at any rate for the eccentric gentleman to tell my father the story of what he had built in that quiet clearing.

It seems one night, many years ago, this unnamed Missourian looked up into the sky and saw a cluster of five UFOs flying low enough that he could see the basic design of the ships. He waved his arms and tried to make contact…but to no avail. He therefore decided to take measures to ensure that if these alien vessels ever returned, they would stop. So, he proceeded to construct an intricately detailed replica of one of the ships he had seen. He reasoned that if the aliens saw his replica ship in the clearing they would assume one of two things: a) that one of their ships had landed and they would follow to assist or b) that a human was making a clear attempt at communication. Either way, he figured they’d probably land there on his property.

The UFO in the clearing has been ravaged by time…weather and drunkards have done entropy’s work. But in its prime, the little concrete ship was a wonder. It was gleaming silver with a glass windshield, a leather seat and mock controls in the cockpit, and a thick metal door in the rear. These days, the silver has been all but worn away, replaced by graffiti and etchings. The door has been hauled away, the glass has been smashed, and the cockpit is nothing but a concrete cavity filled with litter. However, the surreal effect of hiking over a small hill to encounter a life-sized UFO parked in the forest is still as glorious as it was when my family used to visit this clearing for picnics.










We didn’t dally long…it was the first weekend of deer season.

...to be concluded in Ozark Oddities: Part II

7 comments:

Mark said...

Fascinating. I think the guy had watched a few too many episodes of "Battlestar Galactica." Looks kind of like a Viper.

I wish I could have seen this thing in all its glory.

Simon said...

In that fourth pic, Lutine herself looks a little alien-esque with that expression on her face. Sort of like she's been found out and now she has to kill you before you spread the news. And Moonshot has a stunningly gorgeous smile. (You see? It's nowhere near May and I'm already flirting with your wife.)

In the town of Vulcan, Alberta, there's actually a UFO landing pad that's been constructed for a similar potential occurrence.

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - Maybe, but I really don't see too much Viper in this thing. It's sleeker, and encourporates the famous three lights from various UFO sightings.

Which is not t say that the guy couldn't have been a BSG nut...but I'm betting just a straight nut.

What I was unable to capture in the clearing, though, were two mysterious pits. About the same time he was building space ships, the guy was really into perpetual motion machines. He built these odd pendulum digging machines. While they clearly didn't run forever, they ran long enough to scoop out pits that are still noticible today, almost thirty years later.

Simon - Little Lu was struggling pretty fiercly in that shot. She had been enjoying the leaves and was none too happy to sit on Daddys lap.

And yes, Moonshot's smile was one of the first things that drew me to her. It makes my snaggle-toothed grin look a bit nasty ;) And while I happy to see the wife flirting starting early, you may want to pace yourself. May is a long way off and you don't want to spend all your best material early.

Kudos to your fine province for building such a cool space station. It looks a bit mor elike something you'd see in Mos Eisley than Star Trek...but the sentiment is the same.

Amy said...

I meant to tell you that I read the first chapter of piper and the gren a few weeks ago. Well, it scared me so I haven't read any more... It was good, obviously good enough to be real enough to scare me, if you know what I mean??....

Anonymous said...

Hey look, it's Norah the astronaut! I almost wish we had some sweet weirdos like that around here. :)

Mark said...

That just means I have been watching too much "Battlestar Galactica."

Anonymous said...

Moonshot had to suffer for that stunning smile...I think she spent 3 years in braces. So she has both beauty and character. :)