Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gren(ch)

Nothing can ruin a Christmas surprise quite like a gren

There exists in my marriage an unfortunate combination of traits that makes the statement above unfailingly true. In me there is the constant vigilance for puzzles and clues. In my wife there is the complete inability to keep a secret. Together, these traits have meant that I have ruined the surprise of my Christmas or birthday gift nearly every single time.

Earlier in the year, just prior to my birthday, Moonshot and our friend Pinky had gone shopping together. Moonshot returned quite proud of her birthday purchase and told me that it was, in fact, such a great gift idea that Pinky had picked up one for her huband, Duke, as a Father’s Day gift.

“Cool,” I responded. “So all I need to do is wait til Father’s Day and see what Duke gets. Then I’ll know what I’m getting.”

She grumbled and walked away.

However, she needn’t have worried. The secret was not even to last that long. A few days later, my brother was over. We were watching Heroes in the living room and chatting through the commercials. Suddenly, Moonshot turned to Jet and said, “Oh, that reminds me, after Hereos, I have something to show you.”

I take a quick look at the screen and see a pocket watch displayed prominetley. Through college, I had carried my Dad’s old pocket watch and had often commented that I’d like to have one again. So, clearly I was getting a pocket watch…and said as much.

My lovely wife stuttered and stammered in search of a lie, but came up with nothing. Instead, she opted to overload the situation with far too much information.

“It’s not a pocket watch…it’s a wrist watch. And…just so you know, I didn’t spend as much on yours as Pinky did.”

I stared…dumbfounded. I certainly didn’t care how much she had spent…but was attempting to sort out why this was something she felt she needed to reveal.

“I just didn’t want you to see Duke’s and think you were getting one that nice,” she continued.

Jet interrupted at this point and mercifully stopped the hole my wife was digging.

Recently, Moonshot has been rather proud of some super secret gift she has tucked away for my Christmas. I have actually been trying not to guess, not to look for clues. I would, both for my enjoyment and my wife’s, actually rather be surprised in a timely fashion.

Last weekend, though, Moonshot’s family came to town for Thanksgiving. On Friday night, we got a babysitter for Norah and we headed down to Old Town St. Charles for dinner and a stroll with Mouse and FreddyJ. As tends to happen, FreddyJ and I ended up walking a few paces ahead of the women folk. We were chatting contently about some geeky thing or another when we realized the wives had stopped. I returned to them and was promptly shooed away. As I walked back out of earshot, I noticed they were standing in front of our local bicycle shop. In what I thought was pure whimsy, a playful tease at the ongoing inability to keep a gift secret, I skipped down the sidewalk singing, “Yea!!! I’m getting a bike. Yea!!!”

I had expected at least a small chuckle from my wife, but was met instead with dead silence when my little song was done. I turned back toward her to see what I can only describe as an evil glare. I quickly assumed that she was angry because I was guessing rather expensive gifts that would make her actual gift seem small by comparision (like Duke’s fancy watch, for instance). However, before I could voice such a theory, Moonshot blurted, “You always do this, you always guess!!” By the time I reached her there were the buddings of tears in the corner of her eyes that made me feel grinchlike in my consistent ability to smash my wife’s Christmas plans.

I declined her invitation to see the specific bike she purchased. At least I can be surprised at the color.


Goin’ Mobile!

After months with no laptop…I am pleased to announce that I’m mobile once again. This will make no noticeable difference for you, my readers. But I thought you might like to share a moment of joy for my joy at scoring a free laptop. See, Trixalot picked up a sweet Black Friday deal on a new laptop, which meant his old company one could flow downstream to me. It’s worn and probably on its last leg…but by god, for these fleeting days before it craps out…I have a laptop.

“Now all I need is a flash drive,” I said idly to Trixie, “and I can be totally free to roam.”

Trixie reached into his bag o’ goodies and handed me one. “I got a 4 Gigger when I got the laptop…I don’t need this old 250M anymore.”

Sweet!!!

As is my norm, I called my Mom on the way home from work. I told her about the laptop and the flash drive. As I spoke, I thought perhaps I should define what I was talking about.

“Do you know what a flash drive is?”

There was a small pause followed by a somewhat tense, “Yeah.”

I knew even then what that pause meant. I knew exactly how my mother had learned what a flash drive was.

After a moment of silence, MoMa sighed, “I’m just going to tell you….there’s a flash drive for you wrapped under my tree right now.”

My brother had overheard me wishing for a small flash drive, passed the info on to MoMa who had gone right out and let a salesman talk her into the biggest, baddest flash drive the market currently offers…a flash drive embarrassingly huge for my meager requirements.

So, as I drove, I discussed my plans for my little flash drive. I told MoMa how I really didn’t think I’d have anything on there other than the stories I am working on and various notes and such. A 250M will do me just fine.

She unwrapped the gift and plans to return it today.

Another gift ruined by the gren.

13 comments:

Simon said...

You heartless bastard!!

I have a 1-gig I keep in my coat pocket, but, so far, pretty much only use it for taking photos to get developed onto real, live paper.

My wife and I both agreed that we're NOT getting each other Christmas or birthday presents this year (our birthdays are in Nov & Dec) in light of our rather pricey basement renos. When I reminded her of this arrangement earlier this week (sort of testing the waters, you could say) she turned to me with that single arched eyebrow she does so well and said, "You don't really think I can stick to that, do you? Of course I'm getting you something!" You know what that means, don't you??

My stepdad used to delight in sussing out all his Christmas presents every year. He'd sit by the tree like a little kid each Christmas morning, give each gift a show-y shake, and announce what it was like he had some sort of prescient powers. Infuriated my mother, but it always amused me.

You, though... you're a bad man!

Amy said...

Alright... So, for one. for every spring since Simon and I have been dating ( we have been married now 4.5 years) he has promised me a bike. No bike... He has always been big on the no gifts at Christmas. It makes me a bit crazy because I always buy gifts. I love to buy gifts. So, He always gets a gift at Christmas and I don't. I never expect one so don't cry for me. I do enjoy being surprised with gifts though. I still don't know what to make of the un birthday gift I received.
Anyway enough about me. Poor Moonshot. May I suggest you not say that you think you know what you are getting??? Maybe just write it down on a piece of paper somewhere and hide it. Or tell a friend. I wasn't really feeling sorry for her ( I mean she knew what kind of a guy you were when she married you right???) But then you mentioned the tears welling up in her eyes. I am a sucker for tears. Now I need to help.

Amy said...

P.S. I am not trying to hint to my hubby that I want a bike for Christmas. Just so you know. REALLY I don't want a bike for Christmas. I want an IPOD. teehee.

Simon said...

SEE?! You see what I have to deal with? GAH!!

(I knew about the iPod thing, Honey.)

Moksha Gren said...

Si - You had me feeling pretty cruel...then your wife happened along and reminded me just how heartless was my accuser. No borthday present? Duuuuude.

Our Dad was also a big guesser. He taught his boys the art of the shake early on until he had to start disguising the gifts. Strange noise-makers hidden inside a large box with a cd at the bottom. Size, weight, shape...all meaningless to the final reveal.

Amy - You have my sympathies. My wife has also occasionally been victim to the decision that "we" make.

Also, I honestly didn't think I was guessing. I really thought I was just being funny. If she had been in front of a car dealership I would have sang about getting a Beemer for Christmas. Hmm...maybe I should try that...

Amy said...

No Moksha, there was a gift for me to open. But, there was also a note along with it saying "THIS IS NOT A BIRTHDAY PRESENT" It was a portable DVD player that he had gotten for the upcoming 5 hour trip to my folks house for Christmas. He had said it again later in the note " I repeat: this is NOT A BIRTHDAY PRESENT! " He did come home and take me and the boys out for lunch.

Anonymous said...

My family always had to disguise my dad's gifts too. He would get a box of loose bolts and a shirt, a huge box with whatever junk he wouldn't notice missing and a can of cashews, or a round can that used to contain popcorn with a drill. He also guessed correctly a lot. I think he knew mom's hiding spot.

Anonymous said...

Poor Moonshot. The plotting and surprise is the best part of a really great gift.

Frank's the same, most often guessing presents I get him - even that year I got him a stupid razor and didn't let any clue out regarding that very boring gift. He was sort of surprised when I got him the cool video card a couple years ago, though, as I'd so vehemently denied him the budget for that silly thing.

I, on the other hand, hardly ever guess, and only partly because I try not to. You should have seen my face when I unwrapped the laptop two years ago (oh, I know it sounds like a huge present - and it was - but please consider here that this purchase was getting quite imminent, so he mainly shot two birds with one stone). I don't think he even got me anything last year... oh, right: I got a gift certificate from the mall. TIP FOR ALL THE GUYS: DON'T get your girl a gift certificate from the mall, it's just like giving her money - which is even stupider if that money's coming out of a joint account. I used half of it to buy a gift for my mom, the other half for some clothes, I forget which. *shrug*

"for these fleeting days before it craps out…I have a laptop" lol!

Anonymous said...

Heartless but true, the easiest way around this is to not give gifts. And stick to it - no game playing! Hear me out though, as it can still be fun. We eschew the pre-holiday gifting in favor of hitting the post-holiday sales for one big thing for "us" - might sound lame, but it's really fun to go out and find the one thing that will thrill both of us equally. Call me grinchy but I can't think of a single gift I've gotten that holds a candle to our sheer elation the year we finally indulged in a king size bed with a really great mattress. Plus you get to plan for it and dream about it together for the months leading up to the big purchase, without having to be careful not to spill any beans or ruin any surprises. Now if I could only get the extended family on board...

Jess said...

Maybe that's why I've only gotten you a gift like 2 or 3 times. If I average a gift every 8 years or so but keep it random enough, you'll be surprised at the existence of the gift, and so won't have bothered to speculate as to what it might be.

Of course you probably won't encourage those closer to you to use this technique.

(don't get your hopes up, this year doesn't look good)

Josh & Emily said...

Well, luckily I am not getting you anything this Christmas, so you can't guess my gift. See, everyone wins. I don't spend money and you don't guess the gift. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What is it with husbands guessing what their Christmas gifts are? Mine does it too. Maybe there is some kind of genetic trait for not being able to keep secrets on Moonshot's and my X chromosomes. That would make it our mom's fault! :)

Mark said...

This is a tough one, MG. I like Amy's idea of writing down your guess on a piece of paper, so you still have the satisfaction of (one day) knowing you guessed right, but without spoiling any surprise. Shannon and I kind of gave up on surprising each other. Now it's more that we don't know EXACTLY what we're getting from our respective lists. Sometimes just a mental list, sometimes one on paper.

What we excelled at for years, however, was surprise birthday parties. We became experts, but once we left our college town and didn't have the same large group of friends it lost its appeal.

Now we can just tell each other, "I'm putting your gift (name a spot), so don't look there until Christmas," and it sticks.

We have a little thing the Gren doesn't know about. It's called self-control.