Friday, November 16, 2007

Who Wants A Hedgehog Thingy for Their Night Stand?

Mouse Asked the Gren: What is your favorite book and/or author?

Easy one, Mouse. When I was a junior in high school, my good friend Oaf (he’s since made his name public here in the comments, but I still like calling him Oaf) gave me a book and said it was amazing. I took one look at the god-awful, cheesy sci-fi cover and said something non-committal like, “Um…yeah, I’ll see if I can find some time to take a look.” After about a month, I returned the book to him unread. I tried to explain that this sort of Piers Anthony stuff just wasn’t my cup o’ tea.

“Is it the cover?” he exclaimed. “Yeah, the cover’s bad but, dude, the book is great.”

I was unconvinced, “I don’t know, man…that’s a pretty bad cover.”

At which point he ripped the cover off his paperback and handed it to me once again. What could I do? I had to read it then. He had sacrificed his book in order to ensure that I would give it a chance…I kinda owed him.

I will continue to maintain that the cover of this particular book ranks up there with some of the worst. Curse as it is with a rainbow of pastel colors and a hedgehog looking creature that looks nothing like the character I assume the artist was trying to depict, the cover still makes me cringe. However, Oaf was right…the story itself is absolutely magical. I reread it every few years…and with the speed at which I crawl through books, this is a huge complement. But I always find the time for Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Simmons himself is an amazing writer. He’s written sci-fi, horror, mystery noir, historical fiction, and just about every other genre you could think of. And he brings an artistry to each of them that so many genres often lack. What makes Hyperion his best by far is that he tells seven different stories, each in a different genre and with a different style. All the stories are woven together by their voyaging storytellers (ala Canterbury Tales) and work toward an overarching plot. It’s a book only a genre-hopping author like Simmons could write and it’s filled with countless amazing scenes that continue to stun me no matter how many times I read it. It’s the first part of a four-part series, and while it is undoubtedly the best of the four…the whole saga is still some of the best fiction I’ve ever read.

Sound like something you’d like to read? Well, you’re in luck. About a year ago, I purchased Hyperion in hardcover so that it could take a more prominent position on our bookshelf (and also so that I wouldn’t have to look at the hideous cover art.) This left me with a spare and well-worn paperback copy. Then, as if by divine intervention, along comes a conversation with Simon in which he says a) he has never read Hyperion but would like to and b) he detests creased spines on paperback. I, being who I am, took this opportunity to a) do something generous for a friend and b) annoy him at the same time. I took my beat up Hyperion, inked an inscription in it, wrapped it loosely in brown paper, and entrusted it to the USPS with the understanding that they would in turn hand it over to Canada Post who would deliver it to the unsuspecting Simian. With any luck, they’d add a bit more “character” to the book by the time it arrived so poorly packaged, thus adding to my secondary goal.

Simon read and loved the book. Then, since Mark had also expressed an interest in Hyperion, the book was again inscribed, packaged, and shipped…this time bound for Texas.

Mark read and loved the book. Then, since Alvis had expressed an interest in Hyperion, the book again inscribed and was hand delivered to him since he’s also in the Dallas area.

Alvis read and loved the book and that brings us to the current state of things. We have a well-worn copy of one of science fiction’s finest literary achievements available for shipping. It’s no stranger to travel and is looking for a nightstand on which to crash for a little while. Our goal is to keep this little guy jumping nomadically from reader to reader until the pages can no longer be taped back together.

If anyone reads this and would like to join in the growing list of people who have loved this little paperback, just say so in the comments and email me your address and we’ll have it to you as soon as possible. By accepting this book, you agree to the following:
1) You will read it in a reasonable period of time
2) When finished you will write an inscription and mail it to the next person on the list

So, anyone out there want to spend some time with a hedgehog type thing?

14 comments:

Mark said...

I must say, if it weren't for Tolkien and his little Lord of the Rings saga, I'd put Hyperion and Dan Simmons at number 1. Can't believe it took me this long to find out about it, and that it was shipped from Canada to me. Another book I like quite a bit came to me from Canada (directly from the author), and it's called Simon of Space. It should be out in traditional publication form early 2008, we hope.

Jess said...

The appropriate level of care for books has long been a point of contention between us. Right now I have several books drying out on my kitchen counter after various immersion episodes. If a book of mine doesn't have some stains, folds, binding damage, etc., one can infer that I haven't gotten around to reading it.

Since we're on the subject, I can indulge a curiosity I've had for some time. Has anyone been so inspired by Simmons's obvious appreciation of Keats as to actually take up some of the poems? Alas I haven't, but it seems like a good thing to do some day.

To my shame, but in the interests of full disclosure, I think I originally picked up Hyperion because of its cover. I was young.

Current favorite book: The Black Swan, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb; I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's much better than Taleb's previous similar effort, Fooled by Randomness. Sorry, it's nonfiction. I have a great deal of difficulty reading non-manga fiction anymore.

Anonymous said...

I am currently spending time with the Hedgehog type thing, but must say, I am reading at the speed of a sloth with nowhere to go. Hopefully, with plenty of away-from-home time over the holidays, I will be able to progress to a more speedy animal metaphor.

Anonymous said...

The experiment sounds fun, but alas, as per earlier recommendations, a shiny new copy of that same hedgehog paperback is already sitting on my nightstand shelf, bidding its time in the to-read pile. I will take care to crease this yet-unloved copy before I take on another's.

Good luck with the book forwarding!

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - Still haven't finished SoS. I'm kind of enjoying that fact since I often have no clue what's coming in CBBs stories becasue I'm missing the single biggest clue. I'll get around to it someday.

Jess - You'll be happy to know that I've come around to yoru way of thinking on the book issue. My discussions with Simon on this point are eerily familiar...I'm just on the other side.

I tried Keats in college, but I'll admit I've never been a poetry guy. I wish I were, but I just couldn't do it.

I certainly rad mor enon-fiction these days, but have read no manga. Any suggestions in that direction?

Elsa - I had forgotten Taltap finally coerce you into getting to know the hedgehog. Have you at least finished the Priest's tale?

Emilie - Yeah, we discussed that you would have ben th eperfect candidate to recieve the worn copy next...had we not done such a good job and convinced you to buy a copy a month or so ago. Damn our efficiency! Ah well, you'll have to let me kno what you think as Xavier allows you to make your way through it.

Simon said...

I certainly DO agree that the actual contents of a book far outweigh the trapping in degree of actual import. However, that said, the more care is taken of the exterior of that sort of fragile corporeal object, the more frequently it can be enjoyed by a wider variety of people, n'est pas?

Since this has been acknowledged now as your favourite book, I feel driven to recommend others to you. Because as fine an example of awesome modern literature as Hyperion is (and mark my words, I would rank few above it), there are those I hold dearer to my heart. I am pressed to share them.

Émilie will know of what I speak here, for certs. Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay, is utterly wicked awesome. In fact, I have it still in paperback, and a plan begins to coalesce in my head as I type this. Never mind the fact that I just had drinks with the author in Toronto last weekend (ha! ain't that big of me to share), but his writing I will pimp above all others. And Tigana is an example of some of his finest.

A Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. A fictional Scottish lord set amongst the real goings-on of 15th century Europe. Historical Fiction, they call the genre. But that book is a masterpiece I would place above Hyperion without hesitation. It's the first (and in my mind the best) in a series of six, but can be read and left as a stand-alone novel. Alas, Dame Dunnett has shuffled off her mortal coil, but has left such a legacy of books that I still have nine of hers left to buy and read. But that A Game of Kings... dude, it's awesome.

And yeah, Hyperion can totally go down in history as a great work of modern fiction that has one of the worst covers EVER. I have to say that it's the cover that's put me off buying it at the bookstore numerous times. Thanks for foisting yours on me, as beat up as it was.

Mark said...

I have collected your copy of Hyperion from Alvis. So, I need to ship it to you to prepare for its next recipient?

I'll do whatever.

Moksha Gren said...

Si - I'd been meaning to ask you to recommend a Guy Kay book. You and Emilie go on about him enough that I thought I should at least give him a shot.

I had no idea the author actually attended these book-geek weekends you guys have. That's purdy cool.

Mark - Hold the copy for now..surly someone will eventually want to take part in this epic paperback odyssey. Just put him on the shelf next to ol' Blue Straw and we'll bide our time.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I'm the only wierdo who didn't like Hyperion! I guess I'm a stranger in a strange land (another book I didn't like).
In theory, I can see how Hyperion is considered by many to be an excellent book. It has an original concept and innovative structure. The things that ruins it for me, is that I just can't understand what's going on, or why it's going on. Maybe it's the red pen-wielding copy-editor in my soul, but if I can't understand what's happening in a book or the characters' motives, I can't work up much enthusiasm no matter how cool the structure or symbolism is.
Maybe it's like poetry (I like Keats, by the way). :) Some authors speak to certain people and leave others cold.

Anonymous said...

I'm in what I am guessing is the middle of the priest's story. I told you...a sloth with nowhere to go.

Jess said...

Moksha, the plot is confusing sometimes, but the art is much better than that of the first one (and besides I think I already made you watch the movie of that): Ghost In The Shell Volume 2: Man-Machine Interface. If you like Neal Stephenson (and who doesn't?), this world will be quite comfortable. There is a great deal of crap manga, but you really can't go wrong with Masamune. Recently I'm into Bleach (I was Kenpachi for Halloween), but that's kind of juvenile.

Anonymous said...

Tigana's good, yes, and totally recommandable. I still hold Fionavar dearer, but it's a trilogy, and I also like Lions of Al-Rassan better, although it doesn't have as many magic elements as the other ones, maybe. Tigana's as good a place to start. Not parting with my ruffled and worned paperback copy of it, though - it's signed now. :D

Anonymous said...

So hard to name a favorite book. I guess I'll go with my pat answer of the Lord of the Rings, but Hyperion was really, really good. So much so that I went out and bought the Fall of Hyperion.

Naming a favorite book or song is so hard for me, because there are so many good ones.

Subject to Change Without Notice said...

Old, old, old, but if you're still looking for someone to read Hyperion, and want to send a much-practiced copy to North Hollyweird, I would be honored to add my mental pictures to those already floating around it.
Zee Schaffner
(sorry if it posts twice)
zee dot schaffner at gmail dot com