Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ozark Oddities: Part II

Oddity #2: Still Hangin' In There

In modern day society, we are obsessed with safety. From air bags to antibacterial soap. From warning labels to child choke hazards. We scurry about removing or labeling anything that could possibly harm us in any way. It is therefore rather jarring when I stumble across a little something that breaks this rule. And, I must admit, it’s oddly comforting. Part of my love for St. Louis’s City Museum is the fact that folks are encouraged to climb with wild abandon on rusty metal, hovering several stories above the ground. Hell…they’ll even serve you beer while you do it. And so, while the UFO was a pleasant side-trip, the actual destination was something a bit more anachronistic. File it under: They don’t build ‘em like that anymore. Cuz as cool as the UFO is, no one calls that long gravel road that connects County Road A to the distant Highway 42 “UFO Road”. No…they call it “Swinging Bridges Road.” Because while the scenery along this path is truly stunning, you will eventually be forced to take your life into your own hands and cross one of the most marvelous and menacing structures I’ve ever seen.

Like an Incan RuinBuilt by Joe Dice (who coupled his poor eyesight and fourth grade education to build over 40 bridges throughout the Missouri area), the old cable and wood suspension bridge that crosses the Auglaize Creek is one of my favorite pieces of history from my hometown. The rusted metal cabling is the same that was strung across the creek with mules in 1930. The wood planks are replaced occasionally, but not often enough to keep boards from rotting away to leave massive gaps in the bridge deck. And the motion, oh the wonderfully terrifying motion of this thing. Just walking on it sends the whole structure undulating. And that says nothing about the full out waves that push along in front and behind each car that dares trust its weight to the ancient span.

Weight Limit 5 TonsThe first sight you see as you coast down the road is the bridge’s western edge juttin from the overgrowth like some sort of lost Incan ruin. The sign claims a weight limit of a mere 5 tons…but I find even that a bit optimistic.

OvergrowthYou can’t see the other end of the single-lane bridge. There is really only one way to know it there is oncoming traffic. You roll your window down and listen for the telltale “CLACK CLACK CLACK” of the floorboards bouncing under the weight of an oncoming truck. If all is quiet, you should be able to make it safely to the other side in about the time to takes to say the Lord’s Prayer.

I grew up just a few miles up the road from this piece of history. We used to hunt for crawdads in the creek below. I just took it for granted as we drove back and forth across it regularly. Today, however, I’m just astounded that it’s still here and being used on a daily basis. In the twenty minutes or so we spent there, about 5 vehicles crossed the bridge, so it’s not exactly an untraveled path. One of those five vehicles had a 20-something couple in it. They smiled as they clacked over the creek, but the girl’s smile faded after they parked and walked back across the bridge to get a closer look. In fact, she looked downright hostile toward her boyfriend who had driven them across the deathtrap.

How many snapped cables can you count?I know that at some point the old bridge will have to be replaced or reinforced. A shorter suspension bridge just around the corner was retrofitted with steel flooring and new cabling several years ago. The two bridges are still collectively called the Swinging Bridges even though only one of them still swings. It will be a great day for safety…but a sad day for me when they finally bring the old swinging bridge kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Rusted and frayed loop supportsGaps


















The Auglaize Swinging Bridge

MoMa RetreatsNote: All photos can be clicked to view a massive version...the details of age make the download time worth it in my opinion.

Another Note: There are no pictures of the second, smaller bridge because MoMa would not let us drive over this one. At first she said she’d just sit in the back seat and close her eyes. But as soon as the tire touched the wood, she started flailing about and insisted we turn around. She didn’t even like standing on it.

6 comments:

Mark said...

Cool post, and great pictures.

This fascinates me because we had a bridge almost exactly like this in my hometown. It was built in 1912, and closed to vehicles in 1972 (the new highway right next to it featured a shiny new concrete and steel bridge, making both the old road and the suspension bridge obsolete). However, people were allowed to walk across it, and often got it swinging. I'll tell the rest of the story in a blog post of my own, now that you've inspired me.

Simon said...

Just about the surest way to freak out my wife would be to take her out into the middle of that bridge and start swinging it as best I could. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... until she started to threaten divorce. Like Shrek and Donkey in the first Shrek movie. Only without the divorce.

Great pictures of that place. The same cables since 1930? I'd totally love to get out on that thing to see how it feels.

Amy said...

Oh yeah, you would never get me on that thing. I would love to admire it standing on some solid ground though. I have been known to be called the safety police. I simply can't be around when something dangerous is about to happen. All those videos of skate boarders and bikers... You would find me hiding behind my hands while those are on. Very picturesque though.

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - Thanks. There are a couple sites with good pictures of this bridge out there, but I really wanted to capture it on film myself before they fixed it up. I've heard no plans to do so, but after the bridge collaspe in Minneapolis, I can't imagine that there aren't folks taking a long look at bridges like this.

I look forward to seeing your bridge. Structures like this just facinate me.

Simon - Well, it's always there for you to come swing on. Just fly on down and I will happily drive you to it.

I wasn't able to scare anyone with the swinging this time around. Moonshot had to wait with Norah (who could have easily slipped through some of the floor gaps) and MoMa was unwilling to go any further than the shoreline. But, I did get to watch the other couple play out the inevitable "guy bouncing, girl swatting him and telling him to quit" game.

Amy - Yeah, saftey police have no business going near this place. But like you said...luckily it looks cool even when you're not on it.

Anonymous said...

Cool bridge, lovely pics.

*Child got up again, gtg!*

Anonymous said...

I was on that bridge about 20 years ago. It scared me to death then. Your dad had to coax me a lot to get me to drive over it. He went first. I waited and waited for all the movement to stop, said my last prayers and I started across. I lived through it. I am amazed it is still around.