Saturday, July 05, 2008

Bit-O-Grit-O-Honey

It only took Norah a few floats to get the hang of darting out to pluck candy from the asphalt in yesterday’s 4th of July parade. We’ve been parceling it out to her at a controlled pace ever since and taking a few liberties for ourselves along the way.

The Tootsie Rolls are a popular treat for all members of the Grenstead, and the Jolly Ranchers are pretty inoffensive as well…but it seems I am alone in my enjoyment of the Bit-O-Honeys. Moonshot tends to make nasty faces as I unwrap them and then gagging noises as I eat them. Her face turned to bewilderment however, when I commented, my teeth gummed together with confection, “Ya know, they’re good…but they’re just not the same without the grit in them.”

You may be making a face similar to the one my wife made, because to understand my sediment sentiment, you’ll need some history.

I started caving with my Dad when I was about five. He purchased a kid’s football helmet and outfitted it with a headlamp since no one made functional hardhats for the preschool set. He taught me to pack for safety: three independent sources of light (typically your main headlamp, a reliable flashlight, and one or two cyalume lights (glow sticks.) Also on your person should be a canteen of water, maybe a space blanket (foil hypothermia blanket,) some matches in a waterproof container (especially important is you were a carbide caver…which I wasn’t at that age,) and some snacks.

My Dad took the snack selection very seriously. The snack break on a one-day cave trip (I wasn’t allowed on the overnight trips at that age) nearly always came at the very back of the cave. You’d stop, chat with your mud-coated friends and refuel for the trip back which you knew was going to be exactly as grueling as getting there in the first place. So, Dad was looking for a snack that was compact, delivered a good sugar punch for energy, would stand up well to being squished, rolled on and possibly soaked, and had at least the illusion of some healthy benefit. And as a man who raised bees and swore by the health benefits of his tablespoon of honey per day, the mere mention of the word “honey” on the label, even if it did only promise a “bit” of the substance, was enough to make Bit-O-Honey the obvious choice for our caving snack.

We didn’t eat them any other time. They weren’t my favorite candy and Dad was a Jelly Belly man when out of the confines of the cavern. And so the Bit-O-Honey was only eaten while resting countless feet below the surface of the Earth with muddy fingers to pull the wax paper from between the little segments of the taffy bar.

Since I’d not had one since those long-ago cave trips stopped, I had never really realized until earlier this evening as I chewed on that beige candy that the sandy grit of Missouri caves had become an integral component to my nostalgia for that red-and-yellow-wrapped Bit-O-Honey.

I tried to explain this to my wife, but she just shook her head and went back to stirring her “Chicken” Tortilla Soup…no doubt lamenting what a thankless job it is to prepare a delicious meal for a man who thinks mud is a gourmet ingredient.

10 comments:

Susan said...

I love to hear stories about your dad. I feel privileged to have met such a kind man.

Moksha Gren said...

Susan - Thanks. It means a lot to me that even after he's been gone for over 10 years, people still take the time to mention how much he meant to them. I need to get back into the habit of telling these stories so that Norah can hear about her grandpa.

Mark said...

Great story. We, too, had certain foods we ate only during outdoor adventures. Potted meat on crackers springs to mind. Vienna sausages, too. And those little Texsun orange juice cans. Dessert was raisins. My parents never packed candy or soft drinks for our canoe and/or camping trips.

Bit-o-Honey: challenging dental work everywhere.

Simon said...

My first thought was that when the Bit-o-Honey was first made they included some sort of candy grit in the bar. I've had stuff like that. I didn't actually think that REAL DIRT would be the source of your nostalgia. I fully understand Moonshot's head-shaking and your own reverential whimsy.

Almost makes me wanna go caving. That'd be way fun.

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - Food can be such a great trip down memory lane. Twice a year, all the cover clubs from our area would get together for a huge weekend camp out called the MVOR (Mississipi Valley/Ozark Region.) Among others, it became a tradition to head over to Kerry Roland's campsite on Sunday morning with any leftovers you might have. He supplied the eggs and the tortillas and stirred in just about anything anyone brought over (within reason). The result was a massive batch of breakfast burritos with a random assortment of ingredients. Delicious every time. I can't each a breakfast burrito without thinking about this campouts.

Simon - Oh, I fully understand her head-shaking. Heck, even I found the nostalgia a bit odd...which is why I wrote about it in the first place. I did, however, stop short of adding some dirt from the back yard.

And yes, caving was way fun. When things settle down in my life (retirement?) I'd kinda like to track down the St Louis branch of the MVOR. We'll see.

Steven M. said...

If you would have said Bit-O-Honey before I read your post, my first association would have been "Billy Tyler". I could never forget the taste along with the smell of carbide and cool moldy muddy cave when we turned off all the lights to experience true darkness. My dad actually started bringing Bit-O-Honey on our fishing trips after that. I always remembered our caving trips when I tasted it. It's quite iconic to me about childhood and good times, discovery. Thanks for bringing up that memory.

Anonymous said...

I too have a Billy Tyler Bit-O Honey story to share. I was introduced to the candy by Billy but not through caving. Billy and Cindy were my soccer coaches for a few years as well as my youth group leaders at church. I remember Cindy always had them at the games. I swear she went to the local Wal Mart in October and bought them out of the bite size bags. She had them for us year round. On a mission trip she brought a ton of snacks. The Bit-O-Honey went first. I remember she talked Billy into driving 20 miles each way out of our way to find a Wal Mart to buy us more!! We were spoiled!! I still love them today and so does my husband!!

Thanks Billy and Cindy for the memories!!

Dave said...

Mmmmm... Bit-O-Honey!! Loved them as a kid, still do now!

Anonymous said...

Quite belatedly - my birthday (and my dad's thirtieth birthday two days earlier) marked the start of summer vacation, so we've been busy with all kinds of crazy activities, you understand - thank you for your birthday wishes, Norah friend. I, as well, wish you a wonderful third year of life. I'm sure you will make your parents proud (and a little mad at times) by learning a whole set of new skills. So raise your big girl plastic cup with me: hear, hear to us!

One Wink at a Time said...

My fondness for Bit-O-Honey is exceeded only by Black Jack... in the little waxy-paper-individually-wrapped candy category, that is... Oh wait, Mary Janes were good too.