Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Friday the 13th - Chapter 3: Hockey Night in Kansas

I’ll admit that I was in a fowl mood by the time I returned to Sarah's wedding reception…and might have stayed that way had it not been for my dear brother. Seeing that the lone half-keg of Boulevard Pale Ale was about to be emptied before I even had one cup (leaving me with only a wide selection of [shudder] macro-brewed lagers) he and my cousin Jerry had schemed to secret me away one cup of the good stuff. It wasn’t so much the beer that snapped me out of my funk as much as the joy with which they delivered their quasi-illicit good to me. Thanks again, guys.

We were just standing toward the back, discussing the beautiful park and building flaming napkin they had found for the ceremony.

What’s that? There was a flaming napkin there? Yeah, I’m pretty sure I saw that too, but I had to do a double take to be sure cuz it happend so fast. No cause for alarm…just a groomsman fleeing the building with flame spouting from his fist. Go about your business.

Anyway, we meandered outside, my brother and I. He’d been hitting the macro-brewed lager and his arm gesticulation was showing it. My cousin Caleb (Sarah’s brother) sauntered over and as we chatted, Caleb started joking with a group of groomsmen standing in a group beside us. He knows a little sign and so was having fun teasing the guys, all of whom had come down from Toronto (the groom’s hometown) for the wedding. I tried to think of something to converse about with these out-of-towner s and thought to myself that I do actually have a few Canadian friends, and pride myself on knowing a bit more about our neighbor to the north than your average American. I considered current Canadian events and remembered a conversation I’d had with my friend Simon about Hockey Night in Canada losing its theme song. It’s a big deal up there, apparently. It’s been called Canada’s second national Anthem and is a major source of pride. A good place to start a conversation, I thought.

“Caleb,” I said, “Tell them how sorry we are for their ‘Hockey Night in Canada’ loss.”

Caleb had no idea what I was talking about, but began signing. Jet knew this story from my retelling and laughed as he tried to look as sympathetic as he could to make the joke better. The best man looked confused. I assumed Caleb just hadn’t translated correctly. If this thing was as big a deal as Simon had lead me to believe, surly any Canadian would know about it. As I began explaining to Caleb the nature of the joke with him translating what I was saying to the bewildered group, my brother was “helping” by striking an imaginary puck with a pantomimed stick. One of the groomsman got excited. He played hockey and thought were saying that we did as well. We assured him that we did not and tried again. And it was somewhere during this time, while Jet mimicked air guitar to indicate the theme song aspect of our joke and as Caleb turned to shake his head at us that it hit me…none of these fine gentlemen had ever heard the theme song from ‘Hockey Night in Canada.” They’d never heard anything. They had no interest in theme songs and were thus blissfully unaware of any controversy surrounding what tune plays at the beginning of Canada’s most popular sports program. We were, my brother and I, while trying to prove just how sensitive we were to Canadian issues…proving how utterly clueless we were about deafness.

“Nevermind,” Caleb signed to them.

My brother, unfazed…hoisted his beer high and called, “Nevermind….cheers!!”

The three Canadians lifted the drinks and cheered, their looks of confusion gone as they all took a slam from their plastic cups.

Ah, I thought to myself as I slipped away to the shadows, the important thing here really wasn’t that they’re Canadian…nor that they’re deaf. The important thing was that they’re drinkers.

Leave it to my brother to be the first to learn that diplomatic lesson.

9 comments:

Simon said...

All right, the post title is good enough. Draws a completely unrealistic image.

But I knew what was going to happen as soon as you mentioned the HNIC theme song. Deaf wedding plus theme MUSIC discussion? Ah yes, good times!

And thanks must certainly go to Jet for saving the day. When in doubt, regardless of nationality or perceived handicap, beer will nearly always save the day.

Hooray for beer!

Unknown said...

Dude, that is hilarious! And I use exclamation points sparingly.

Just, man, that's funny.

Josh & Emily said...

I have a feeling that they still have no clue what we were talking about and are making fun of the "stupid Americans" as we speak.

Simon said...

Also, if you're interested in the further developments of the saga: a rival network snapped up the rights to the HNIC theme song and will play it during THEIR hockey broadcasts. Which is good in that the song won't just die out and fade from memory, but still... it seems a little odd. Sort of like watching The Simpsons while listening to the Seinfeld theme song. Just not quite right.

Simon said...

Oh c'mon Jet... you must KNOW that Canadians NEVER do that!
;)

Moksha Gren said...

Si - Well sure, it all seems so obvious in retrospect. But at the time...in the moment...not so much.

And yes, hooray for beer, indeed! Even Mark, brew-hater that he is, couldn't resist the commradary of Brew Fest here in St. Louis. It just brings folks together in a way that even boneheadedness cannot dissuade.

Mawbaron - Then I shall treasure that exclamation point as the rare creature that it is. And I shall commend you on your sparing use of the punctuation. It is far too overused these days, and I appriacte those who appriacte that its effectiveness increases as its use decreases.

JET - Don't let Simon convince you otherwise...they're laughing at us. Hell...I'd bet several loonies that even Simon is laughing at us right now. And sadly...I can't even say we don't deserve it.

Simon (again) - Ok, that is weird. Now they just need to hire one of HNIC's previous hosts and really throw a curve ball (trick shot?) into the works.

And to your last comment. Is that...? Wait. Being an American, I'm not exactly sure, but I think you may be employing that sarcasm thing you're always talking about. To which I reply, "Hey, great weather!"

émilie b said...

Haha! Good to hear your stories again, Moksha.

It's ironic for me how you split them up in three to allow us to read and comment throughout, and I read them all at once.

You sold your house? Awwww.

I'm Canadian, my hearing is fine and I still wouldn't, either, have a clue about the hockey theme song replacement. (Of course, Simon would probably argue that my being from Québec, and a girl, means I don't count.)

Potty training is starting, eh? Xavier has just recently agreed to sit naked on his potty - he would only do it fully clothed before - so we've still a ways to go. But girls learn more quickly, I hear, so good luck to you. (And maybe a plastic sheet for the carseat next trip?)

Moksha Gren said...

Emilie - Thanks, it's good to be telling them again. It's good for the soul, ya know.

Yes, we sold our house. I'll be posting more about that soon. I'm not looking forward to leaving this house...but i'm looking forward to being in the new house. How typically human, eh?

It seems that Simon may have oversold the significance of this song thing. Of the four Canadians I've now mentioned this to...none of them knew anything about it. Chalk it up to what you will: deafness, Quebecness, girlness...the fact remains, 0 for 4 Simon

Norah loves to sit on her potty. She has a couple books about the potty that she only gets to read while she's sitting on it (that's huge incentive for her.) She squeezes her rubber duckies to make them pee in the potty and she delights in making the "pssss" sound effect while she sits there...but to date, not a single drop of actual pee has graced the potty. We eagerly await that moment.

émilie b said...

Oh, I'll try having the rubber toys "pee" in the pot too, that's a fun idea. The only other visual explanation I can think of is peeing in that tiny pot myself, but I'm not sure I'd make a cleaner job than Xavier probably will in the beginning. (Maybe I can get Frank to drop a few drops there... uh.) Another trick: someone told me they gave their kid one Smarties chocolate when they went in the potty. Her trouble was, though, that the grandmother would hand the kid the whole box when he was over, so that squarely undermined her technique.