Friday, July 21, 2006

Real Fear

This is a guest posting from Moonshot


I don’t typically feel the need, as my husband does, to write down my thoughts, or to share them in written form with the world. Those who know me well should not be surprised to know that I usually just blurt my thoughts out to any interested party. However, something has been on my mind more and more over the last few months and particularly this last week, and I thought that perhaps sharing my thoughts would bring me, and maybe even some readers, a little comfort.

I suppose it starts with horror movies, which I have always loved. My parents disapproved of this type of film when I was kid, and I was always a good girl, so I didn’t see many of the horror movies that came out as I was growing up until I moved out of their house. In college and the years just after, I learned to love the thrill it gave me to turn out all the lights and descend into the voyeuristic bliss of watching Michael Myers slash, Jason tear, and zombies gobble. Living in an apartment by myself after I finished school, I would sometimes rent these movies to watch at home alone, all the lights turned out and a pillow nearby to stifle my shrieks. I took a strange pleasure in creeping around my apartment afterwards in terror, every light blazing, phone in hand, checking behind shower curtains and under beds for the bogeyman.

In the last year or two, however, I have noticed that my tolerance for these movies has decreased, and my pleasure in them nearly disappeared. It started when my husband and I, sickened and upset by the gore, got up and left the theatre halfway through the recent remake of “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and has continued up through my inability to sit through “The Hills Have Eyes” a few weekends ago with friends Taltap and Elsa. A short conversation with those friends followed the movie, in which I argued that horror movies have changed in some intrinsic way, making them unpalatable to me. I was somewhat vague on the exact change, arguing variously that they focus more on torture, that the injuries are more graphic, and the characters more realistic. Taltap tried to disabuse me of this notion, saying that while special effects make it possible to show injuries in greater detail, the basic devices through which these movies disturb and frighten us have not changed. I’ve been giving this a lot of thought over the last week, and have come to the conclusion that the movies have not, indeed, changed. What changed is me.

Back in the days when I used to lock myself in a dark apartment and scare myself witless, I was having fun, but I also believe that scaring myself that way was a cathartic release for real fears. In general, I was not a terribly fearful person, and I tried not to think about the kind of dangers that face a young, single woman living alone. These movies gave me a reason to mentally tick through the safety measures I had taken, to rehearse my strategies for dealing with dangerous situations. In short, I could address my fears of the unlikely possibility of rape or murder, through the guise of preparing myself for an even more unlikely battle with an axe-wielding force of darkness. I could take steps to protect myself and failing those, believe that there always remained for me the option of fighting like hell to protect myself. I could wake up the next morning feeling smug in my false confidence that I could handle any psycho foe, real or imaginary. Some logical part of me understood that it was, in fact, false confidence, but part of me ruled by my emotions could ignore that detail in order to feel better. I felt that I was in control.

So why do these movies no longer serve to lessen my subconscious fears? After much thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that my fears have changed. When I watch these movies, when I imagine the psycho force of darkness, it is no longer myself he chases. It is my loved ones. Just as the unrealistic terrors brought to mind by these movies once helped me to deal with real fears for myself, they now reinforce real fears for my family. I’m not particularly worried about us being attacked by aliens, cannibals, or mystical dream-stalkers. But the feelings that these foes illicit from me on film are too close for my comfort to the feelings I have when considering real dangers like car crashes, illnesses, kidnappers…

You see, I have so much more to lose now than I did even five years ago. I could then, and can now, face the possibility of pain and death for myself. After all, I tell myself, pain is usually temporary, and if I die, well, I won’t be around to feel sad about it. Besides, as I explained, I am perfectly capable of deluding myself into believing that I can control what happens to me. My problem, you see, is that I haven’t been able to delude myself into believing the same about my husband, my beloved pets, my baby. I imagine terrible things happening to those I love, and I understand true terror. I begin to see that some pain could be forever. I feel no comforting sense of control, and I have no last ditch, fight-like-hell plan. I can only tell my husband I love him when he leaves for work, be ridiculously protective of my dog, search the house endlessly for missing kitties who nap unconcernedly in hidden corners, and voraciously read pregnancy and parenting manuals. I superstitiously avoid mentioning these fears in connection with my family, to the point that I find my fingers slowing on the keyboard right now as if they were immersed in molasses. I wish that I believed in prayer, or charms, anything that could turn my love into a magical force-field to surround and protect my family, to take away my worry, to fill me with that youthful, foolish confidence that once came so easily…

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I will become a neurotic worrier anytime soon. I won’t dwell on these new fears overlong, nor will I let them overwhelm or control me. I’ll simply do my best to live well, love my family, and make them happy. You won’t find me hiding in any corners… but I don’t think you’ll find me enjoying gruesome death scenes and lunatic killers anymore either.

4 comments:

Moksha Gren said...

I guess I have several thoughts on this one. First of all, excellent post, honey. I couldn't agree more that fear for a loved one if far more debilitating than fear for one's self. I say this as I sit at work with a nine-month pregnant wife at home waiting out what Ameren UE is calling "the worst storms in 60 years." I don't like it. So I can't disagree with your general premise at all.
However, as for horror films...I'm gonna contend that they HAVE changed. There's a torture trend running through Hollywood right now that isn't fun at all for me. I'm all for Michael Myers loping off somebody's head. I love a good "monster in the woods" tale or a ghost story. But all these have an element of fun to them. Graphic torture isn't fun for me. It isn't scary...it's just not fun. When the Ring girl crawls out of the tv, my imaginattion is going wild and my adrinaline is up. Fun. When some madmad slowly hangs some teenager on a hook, I'm thinking about real-life torture victims...not fun. It's a subtle difference and I know lots of people like the new strain of horror so it's fine that they get made, but it seems clear to me that there IS a difference.
So, I'd say that you'll be right back in the theater when the next good zombie flick drags itself into onto the screen. Don't assume your tastes are changing just because Hills Have Eyes was a overly gruesome crap-fest.

Anonymous said...

I almost hesitate to defend HHE, since the apparent depth of Moksha's loathing for it might prompt him to just discount my cinematic tastes. I haven't been a big horror fan in the past. Like Moonshot, my childhood was fairly sheltered from the whole Jason/Freddy phenomenon. When I did start watching these movies I must have been too old or unimaginative; I just found a vast majority of them boring.

On the other hand, Hills Have Eyes was interesting. To my somewhat jaded taste, that alone makes it a good horror movie, if perhaps not a good movie outright. Someone put some thought into: setting, motivation, conflict, characterization, pacing, even character growth! I know I've seen horror films that didn't care to include any of these features. I really appreciated the fact that HHE eschewed the tired "slow kill-off" "tension-building" device. After the first night that the locals attacked the tourists (killed 3, kidnapped 1), they didn't kill any more, yet somehow the film still managed to build tension in act 2. HHE also included a fair amount of blood and gore, and I can see that an infant kidnapped by weirdos would strike fairly close to home for an expectant parent.

I'll go along with Moksha that torture has been a more prominent theme in horror movies over the last 3 or 4 years. You've got Saw, Hostel, House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, the Texas Chainsaw remake, etc. You might contrast this group with previous horror movies concentrated on comedy, on killin' monsters, on some megapowerful evil dude, or whatever. This almost seems like an echo of a sadism theme in more mainstream movies (cf. Silence of the Lambs and its sequels, Se7en, 8 MM, were there others?). But this is somewhat cyclical: HHE and TCM are both fairly faithful remakes of movies from the 1970s. The basic plot of a civilized group coming to misfortune in the hinterland is a classic one; my favorite instantiation is probably Deliverance.

I'm sure there are Gen-Yers (wow I thought OUR generation had a pathetic name) enjoying these torture movies right now who will be similarly disgusted by whatever horror themes emerge in 2012. I guess what I'm saying is, Moksha might be careful that he doesn't fall into the classic "conservative old guy" trap of mumbling about how "we had actual MUSIC in my day, not this noise you listen to." Trends, fads, fashions, etc. are are essentially meaningless. History repeating and all that.

I'm fascinated by Moonshot's original point. The change in her enjoyment of horror movies is a reflection of a personal change. There is a growing group of people for which she feels care and responsibility: a family! Having a family apparently prevents horror movies from playing the same role in her life that they used to.

I totally relate to the lack of care for self that Moonshot describes, but I can also remember not lacking this as a child. Not surprisingly, I was afraid quite a bit as a child, although I can't remember having been since I graduated from college. Horror movie appreciation as a coping mechanism for a "young, single woman living alone" makes a certain amount of sense. We all fall somewhere along a continuum of personal threat vulnerability, so even (or is that especially?) burly mixed martial arts enthusiasts think uncomfortable thoughts in that long dark night.

We're all vulnerable to any number of things over which we have no control, and we all have to come up with a way to deal with that. Religion offers various methods to various people, and I'm sure some people are satisfied with these methods. I didn't realize the extent to which horror movies can also inform the human condition. That fascinates me, as does the realization that parents just don't like horror movies. I had thought it was just my parents.

Cheeseburger Brown said...

My ability to tolerate media in which children are in jeopardy has been reduced to near zero since the construction of my own children. That's where my new line has drawn.

Gang movies or rap videos with a transient shot of a young single mother kicked out of her apartment sitting in the gutter with a child on her lap? I can't take it.

Movies where kidnapped children witness acts of brutality or have to listen to adults say Very Harsh Things? I've got my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears.

I just can't stomach it anymore.

In contrast, I never watched horror movies in the past but now I've seen a few and extracted some amount of enjoyment from them and their ride of fake fear. On the other hand, I can't abide movies that focus on torture. Colour me a woose, but torture gives me the deep-down heebie-jeebies. No matter how it is depicted.

Love,
CheeseburgerBrown

Moksha Gren said...

Oaf: Allow me to defend against the "conservative old guy" argument. I didn't say the whole torture genre was crap...merely that I don't enjoy it and that HHE specifically was a "crap fest". Now, perhaps I'm being overly critical of the film. My recollection of it has me and Taltap squirming uncomfortably due to our selection of what may well have been the WORST choice for a pregnant Moonshot to watch. The opening credits feature a montage of deformed fetuses in jars! Shortly after, we are introduced to the newborn infant who the psycho cannibals will no-doubt be threatening soon. So, it was difficult to enjoy the good points of the film while I stewed in my guilt, continually asking, "You sure we shouldn't just shut it off?" We compensated by mocking the film to change the disturbing into something more manageable. So, it probably didn't get a fair viewing. I can admit that HHE, like many new horror films, does a better job of flushing out characters and character development than some of the older film. And I did like that this one was totally willing to ignore the typical killing schedule so that it could move at its own pace. Kudos. Still, I don't think I would have been impressed with the film even under better viewing conditions. Just not my cup 'o tea. I don't think Saw would be either, although I won't argue that it sounds like a great movie...for someone else.
Maybe I am getting old. But I'm ok with that. It's youth culture's job to try to disturb me and maybe it's my job to be a bit disturbed. It’s the disgust of us old folks that makes the taboo enticing in the first place, no?

Cheeseburger: Currently, my child is still a bit abstract for me...the physiological snare that you've previously described hasn't hit me yet. I'll keep you posted on what new things disturb me once Pumkin has stared me in the eye and cast his/her Protect-Me Voodoo. For now it's just torture...and reality tv.