Thursday, May 29, 2008

Desert Drivin'

Today went exactly to schedule...assuming you ignore the fact that I'm already a day behind. Three stores done by noon and then on the road to Alburquerque. No wrong turns yet, Simon.

Two things struck me today. First, the realization that truck-stop food has come a long way. Time was that such a phrase brought up images of grease-soaked burgers and sponge-like fries. However, these new-fangled, brightly-lit and clean truck stops offer a wide variety of culinary options that ain't half bad. Had me a veggie burrito just south of Flagstaff for lunch that was better than just about any Mexican food I could find in St Louis. I find myself happy for the nation's truckers.

Secondly, I was amazed as the varied scenery during today's drive. I know that my pictures won't really do it justice. Pictures of the expansive Southwest just never capture the sense of space, the depth out here. The flat images so often look rather boring. However, even knowing that, I continued to occasionally hoist my camera to roughly eye-height and attempt a shot or two while cruising down the highway. From time to time I thought about pulling over to line up a better shot, but in the end I like these. This was my view, through the bug-splattered windsheild. Nicely framed shots (while desirable in other contexts) just didn't appeal to me today.


Just outside Phoenix. Lots of Cacti.

Gained altitude toward Flagstaff and got trees and cool air.

Down the other side of the mountain to flatness...and lots of trains like these two

I slowed down to taunt him as I passed

"It's a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford"

Then the rocks got purdy and sculpty-like.

Like massive, massive river stones

This just amused me.

Moksha Tracker


  • Miles Driven: 473
  • Miles to Go: 1,390




  • Tucson, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Phoenix, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Albuquerque, NM: 3 Stores

  • Oklahoma City, OK: 4 Stores

  • Tulsa, OK: 2 Stores

  • Wichita, KS: 3 Stores

  • Topeka, KS: 1 Store and a Huge Storage Locker

  • Lawrence, KS: 1 Store

  • Kansas City, KS: 1 Store

  • Columbia, MO: 1 Store

4 comments:

Mark said...

Great stuff, Moksha. I'm glad you found food for your fancy in the truck stops. I had an accidentally vegetarian day on Tuesday, and went to bed with a strange sensation in my belly. I didn't feel hungry, but I sensed there was something missing.

As further proof that you haven't seen Cars, you drove through those "purdy and sculpty-like" rock formations without mentioned Radiator Spring Oddly, however, in describing the scenery you used language very much like Mater might have.

Still loving the map.

Hold your nose through Amarillo.

Mark said...

That's "without mentioning Radiator Springs." Sheesh.

Simon said...

I think it's pretty cool that you got a shot of those two trains as they were about to complete their chicken fight. I wonder which one won? I also wonder which one left Oklahoma City, traveling west at 25 mph, while the other one left Las Vegas, traveling east at 37 mph in order that they meet in that exact place at that exact time? I guess we'll never know...

Another thing that occurs to me: the closer you get to the end of your trip, the madder the whole thing is going to appear. So, by the time you get to the last leg of your drive, and given the outline of your little stick man along with the expression on your face, you can loudly and vociferously exclaim, "Madness?? This! Is! Topeka!!"

Josh & Emily said...

Take it Eaaaaasy...take is Easssy.