Thursday, July 05, 2007

Tag! You're Sick!!

It’s been an exciting game of pass the bug here at the Grenstead for the last few weeks. It was slightly annoying but still in the realm of amusing when the first illness made its way through our usually impenetrable immune systems. However, our sense of humor about this issue has diminished now that a new pathogen has begun its rounds a mere two days after the house had resumed its typical state of health and wellness.

Our microscopic friends first took up residence in our home a day or two before our friend Elsa arrived for a weeklong stay. Typically, our hospitality is a bit better than the snot-covered reception Elsa received, but we comforted ourselves with the knowledge that Elsa herself stepped off the plane with a minor cold of her own. All was fair, we reasoned.

Elsa was in town to make good on a wonderful birthday gift she had given to Moonshot back in May. It was a coupon for sanity. It granted Moonshot help around the house, a girl’s night out, a date night with me, and a few other such things. Basically, she came to shower my wonderful wife with attention and aid. That was the plan anyway. And to some degree, the plan was a success. We did, in fact, achieve each of the wondrous feats promised by the coupon. We strolled about the Botanical Gardens, Moonshot and I had dinner out and a nice stroll through Old Town St. Charles, and the girls made it to the theater to see Evenings. The time in between such feats, however, was predominately spent resting, moaning, and recouping for the next feat on the agenda.

The first illness made its presence known in me. Sore throat, general sense of blaaah. The kind of sick that you wish was just a little less horrible so you could function better, or just a little bit worse so you could feel justified in curling up in bed. It did neither. It stubbornly hovered in that functional but miserable area for a few days before jumping ship to my wife and daughter. I would return from work to find Moonshot and Elsa sprawled on the couch dabbing their noses and Norah sitting with a blank expression…a slug-like trial of snot escaping her nostril.

I was upset for my wife that the timing was so horrible…decreasing the enjoyment of her birthday present and all. However, I couldn’t help but feel that Elsa’s presence had been, in some ways, well timed. We actually made it through a week with a sick child and were willing to file it under “slightly annoying.” That alone proves Elsa’s impact on events.

Elsa went home on Monday, the first day that everyone felt pretty close to being themselves. We were given one day of mucus-free living before a second wave of invasion dragged us back into painful throats and chapped noses. Norah sleeps poorly, snoring and waking to cough. This lack of sleep leads to general grumpiness that must be dealt with by parents who are themselves battling the round-robin outbreak and not much in the mood to listen to a little girl shriek and blow snot bubbles just because we took away the remote control.

Currently…I’m remaining relatively untouched by this bonus round…but I figure I’ll get hit just as Norah and Moonshot recover. It adds a nice layer of symmetry to the whole endeavor

9 comments:

Anna said...

I really hate it when this happens in our household! :) I hope that everyone gets better soon with no round three!

Anonymous said...

Fervent wishes of prompt recovery to all the Grenstead dwellers!

Simon said...

That sucks very large. Being sick is bad enough, but when you're sick along with the baby, it's like shop-vac kind of sucking. Sometimes I'm sort of impressed by the kinds of snot bubbles that our boys can produce, but I'd much rather the health than the mildly entertaining sickness.

Here's to more recovery and the hope that you can dodge the effects of the bonus round.

Mark said...

I heard the news, baby.
All about your disease.
Yeah, you may have all you want, baby.
But I got somethin' you need.

Sorry. A little tipsy still from the Banana Bang at Papadeaux.

Simon said...

A Banana Bang??

Uh oh... it sounds like Mark is officially a Girl Drink Drunk.

Moksha Gren said...

Anna and Emily - Thanks. We'll be back on our feet again soon, I'm sure. Surely there couldn't be a round three. And surely that won't be looked upon as tempting fate to have typed that ;)

Simon - Can something really suck large? Sure, sure..large things...with large pressure, maybe...but just large? I applaud your creative use of the language, but in describing a shop-vac's suction, I think I would have gone with the word "loudly." It works for the shop-vac, the nose-blowing, and opens a nice innuendo window.

And yes, the cohesive bonds of mucus are quite impressive. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see a quater sized snot-bubble clinging to Norah's face. I mean...if the Adam Sandler films have taught us anything, it's that snot has amazing elastic qualities.

Mark - I have no idea what you're talkin' 'bout...but you're certainly not talkin' 'bout love.

Stephanie said...

That stinks! I hope Moonshot and Norah feel better sonn...and that you avoid the second round.

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon! I remember those days well.

One Wink at a Time said...

Sorry I'm late with Get Well wishes, but as a small consolation, I'm reassured by the probability that you're all past the bumpy stuff by now.
I would say that the whole ordeal must have sucked all-encompassingly.
Please remind me where I picked up that word. It's driving me batshit crazy...