Sunday, April 01, 2007

April Politicians

I toyed for some time with making a joke post today. Thought maybe I’d tell everyone that Norah had followed in her mother’s footsteps and uttered “Dammit!” as her first word. But, in the end, I figured it would be too obvious. Instead, I’ll share a bit of April Fool’s absurdity I experienced today.

I am weed eating along the sidewalk and a friendly and intelligent gentleman approaches me. I hut down the machine and he tells me that he is sincerely hoped that I would be voting this Tuesday in the city’s mayoral election. And further than he hope John Gieseke had my vote. Now, I don’t follow local politics as much as I should. Every year I tell myself that this is the year that I start paying attention. This is the year I begin acting like I really understand how much more significant local politics is to my life. But I never do it. Life’s been pretty good round these part, so left with no other input, I suppose I’d vote for Patti York to keep her job. But I hate the idea of just cluelessly voting for the incumbent just because I was too lazy to research the issues. So, I was actually fairly happy to be approached by this friendly and intelligent looking gentleman. I hoped that he could give me some details on which way I should vote.

Me: Oh, thanks. I’m not as up on local politics as I should be. Been meaning to research a bit before Tuesday. What’s Gieseke’s main issue?

Friendly and Intelligent-Look Gentleman: Mayor

Me: What?

F.I.L.G: He’s running for mayor.

Me: Oh, well yeah, I knew that. But what’s he want to accomplish? What are his goals?

F.I.L.G: He’s going to represent the people better than Patti York.

F.I.L.G is smiling pleasantly. Seemingly confident that he’s giving all the right answers to win my vote. I try another tactic.

Me: Ok, what’ something that Patti York did that John Gieseke would have done differently?

F.I.L.G: She didn’t represent the will of the people very well.

Me: Oh. Well, if she’s not doing that then we need to get her out of office.

F.I.L.G, moving on down the sidewalk, pleased that he has won a vote: Exactly. Remember, the election is Tuesday.


So, sure, I still don’t have a particularly good reason to vote for Patti York. But she hasn’t screwed up St Charles too bad…and I’m pretty sure she’s got a better platform than a vague promise to represent my will. Thanks, Friendly and Intelligent-Looking Gentleman, for helping me decide.

8 comments:

Simon said...

I am again weeping for democracy. I think it was Churchill who said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."

Remind me not to vote in any upcoming elections.

I think that story is sort of a sick April Fool's joke anyway.

Mark said...

Wow. Now that's sad.

Great quote by Churchill. I also heard one that went something like, "You may hate Capitalism, but it's the best -ism we got."

I'm not sure I believe that, but I certainly haven't seen a country using a system that has proven better in practice.

I've also heard of something called "social democracy," but I've never heard it defined.

Simon said...

Mark, I like skepticism as an alternative -ism.

And my first comment may have smacked a bit much of pessimism. For which I'll offer up a glowing dollop of honey-sweet optimism: there was a horrendous accident on the highway as I drove south tonight, where it got colder and icier the further south I got, but that accident didn't involve me, so that makes me feel at least marginally better. (Does that sound like it includes a bit of narcissism? Probably.)

Teacher Man said...

I, too, have been guilty of not being knowledgeable in local, and sometimes national elections. Many times I have not voted for a particular office because I didn't know enough about either candidate.

It must be much easier for people who vote straight ticket. As I like to say, "Vote straight ticket, it's easier than thinking."

(No offense to anyone who actually does vote straight ticket.)

Anonymous said...

That's a funny story. Thanks for the laugh.

Moksha Gren said...

Si - Just a bit pessimistic, yeah. And the fact that even your optimism involves icy death for your fellow motorists has me a bit concerned as well.

Mark - While democracy certianly has its issues with ill-informed voters randomly picking their leaders based on name recognition and a charismatic smile...but it's better than anything else I can think of.

Alvis - I don't vote straight ticket, but I'm pretty close. not cuz I don't think...but becasue after thinking...I tend to be a crazy lefty ;)

And if I'm standing there with no idea what the candidates stand for for a particular office...I don't refrain from voting. Instead of voting for the personal issues (which I can't) I vote for the overall concept of what sort of representative body I'd like to have. And I'd like as diverse a governing body as possible. So, when I have nothing else to go on, a female will trump a male. An African-American will trump a white dude. Etc, etc. It's not a perfect system, I admit...but I figure it's better than not voting.

That's sort of an interesting deal. How 'bout all of you? You're in the voting booth facing candidates you know very little about. What breaks the ill-informed tie or do you just skip?

Emilie - My pleasure...glad you enjoyed it.

One Wink at a Time said...

Yell when you're off politics and I'll be back around... ;-)

One Wink at a Time said...

Patiently waiting for the yell... In the meantime, Happy Easter wished to the Grenhold. :-)