Friday, January 05, 2007

Event Within a Tale Within a Story

In theory, I’m working on a short story. In fact, however, I’m just daydreaming a lot and finding ways to avoid sitting down to start the writing process.

Writing is scary for me these days. Though I once had so much confidence in my ability to put my thoughts to paper, I know cringe at how unnatural it feels to create a solid piece of word craft. Part of me says that I just have a better understanding of good writing these days and thus have higher expectations than I did when I was younger. But another part of me knows that my lack of practice, my years of not writing followed by this stream of consciousness blog rambling (the writing equivalent of a fully Twinkie diet) has corrupted my ability to tell a cohesive tale. So, I’m left to think that since the story is so interesting and engaging in my own mind…why mess it up with feebly constructed words? Why yank it down from Plato’s higher reality to limp about as a shadow of its perfect self? Why prove to myself just how far my story-craft has faded?

So…um…I’ve been avoiding the hard work of story-craft lately. I just don’t feel like writing in the evenings, hit the snooze button in the mornings, and pesky work keeps me from writing in the afternoons. Not sure what magical non-time time I’m waiting for to be the perfect writing time…but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’ve even sat down to work on my story…but made the blog rounds instead. Therefore, tomorrow I’m going to try to sneak away from the house and find some quiet nook in the local library. No internet connection, no work, no distractions. If I can’t write like that…well I’ll just have to give up and admit that I obviously just don’t want to write.

And how have I scored this time away from home and Norah? Well, it was hard earned by taking such good care of my wife and child while Moonshot huddled in bed, locked in combat against a particularly nasty cold. She’s doing much better now and suggested the library hide-away as both a solution to my writing problem and as a thank-you for stepping up and taking care of things while she recouped. Crafty wife…tricking me into productivity even as she rewards my hard work.

There is, however, one dark cloud that could waylay the quiet story time. Norah is learning to go to sleep on her own. Unrelated you say? Not at all. Everything in the Gren household is directly related to Norah’s mood; she is the filter through which all homestead events must be viewed.

Our treasured baby-rearing books inform us that Norah is now old enough to start the difficult transition into a child who can fall asleep by herself in her crib. We’re told that her five months of life have solidified her faith in us as caregivers and we are now able to let her cry for longer periods of time without her feeling she has been abandoned. Currently, the only way she really falls asleep is in our arms (typically to wake up when laid down). The absolute inconvenience of this arrangement made us eager for the transition to occur. And so, last night we began this process. We wrapped her in blankets, rocked her and read her a bed time story until her eyes looked heavy. We transferred her to her crib, turned on her bedtime music, kissed her forehead and left despite the fact that her little eyes had popped open fully the second her head touched the mattress.

Oh the screaming! Oh the rage!

The house was filled with her howls. We could hear her little mouth filling with snot as she screeched against the injustice of our abandonment. We knew that little fists were pumping against the cruel universe, but we just kept finding some way to distract ourselves from our guilt. We kept reminding ourselves that she was fine. Nothing was wrong other than she wanted us to come…which was exactly what she needed to get over. But it’s not easy. We’ve spent 5 months responding to her every cry and rushing to her aid whenever she claimed to need it. Turning our backs on that instinct ran against every grain in our new parent bodies. We just kept stealing glances at the clock, reminding ourselves that the “What to Expect” book assured us that the average baby gives up the fight after no more than 45 minutes of yowling.

Blessed silence finally descended over the house after “only” 33 minutes of high pitched complaint and she sank into a deep sleep. Hours later, however, this peace was almost disrupted by Troubadour Dali, the band across the street. Seems they decided that 2:30 am was the perfect time to record some drum tracks for their new album. Norah isn’t even on that side of the house and I could hear on the baby monitor that she was being disturbed by the thunderous beats from the unassuming little white house.

In my bathrobe and new Christmas slippers, I made my way through the cold drizzle to the band’s porch, my footsteps on the sidewalk drowned out by the thump-thump-thump of the Troubadours’ rhythm section. On their porch, I pounded and pounded on the door but it did little to get their attention as the drummer continued his cymbal beating frenzy. I eventually just stuck my head and arms into the living room and waved my hands about in a lame attempt to make someone see me. There were just two people in the room…the oblivious drummer and an equally oblivious young girl at the computer monitoring the recording levels. I remember thinking in my sleepy, arm-flapping state that they both had very nice hair under their headphones. Such things cross my mind at 2:30 apparently. Suddenly the girl caught sight of a madly waving robed figure and startled. The drummer put down his sticks and took off his headphone. He smiled and said, “Oh, is it too loud out there?” in a friendly and slightly embarrassed way.

“Um…yeeeeeah,” I replied with a slow smile and nod.

“Oh,” he said sheepishly. “Really loud, huh?”

“Yeeeeeeah.”

“Sorry ‘bout that.”

“No problem,” I replied with what I hoped was a friendly tone. It’s hard to tell since I was half asleep. They’re nice guys and usually try to be courteous neighbors, so I’m just going to assume that those headphone they were both wearing were so amazingly good that they had no idea how deafening his pounding was. While I had to play the curmudgeonly neighbor, I hope I came across as the amused curmudgeon that I am.

After this, Norah slept all night and didn’t even want to be waked for breakfast.

Anyway, Moonshot will be continuing the sleep training with Little Miss’s naps today. She’ll be put in her crib for each nap. If she doesn’t want to sleep, that’s fine…she’ll be picked up and given another try when she again acts tired. But, under no circumstances will she be given the option of sleeping in Moonshot’s arms. Eventually, she should get tired enough that the crib seems good enough.

I have no idea what this process will do to her mood. Saturday may find a relaxed child who has made her peace with the new sleeping arrangements, or it may find a grumpus who is overly tired and pushing her parents to the limit of their patience. If the former…I get to have some quiet time at the library. If the latter…well…I’ll just have to keep waiting for the imaginary perfect writing time as I continue to enjoy the still Plato-perfect story that that rumbles about in my head.

7 comments:

John Haney said...

Moksha, I hope you realize that your stream of consciousness writing has at least nuggets of greatness. I submit evidence in your description of the parental struggle when establishing the crib as the place to fall asleep. The details took me back to, well, last night... when I struggled to wait thru 15 minutes and before giving in to "rescue" my daughter. Anyways, I feel your pain.

I hope the writing time works out.. I want an autographed copy of your book! ;-)

One Wink at a Time said...

MoGren, Si and 75 have both said most of what I wanted to say, although excrutiationly more eloquently more than I could hope for (you writer people make my brain wail- but only out of enviousness)
I wish your blogging would provide you with the satisfaction or whatever it is you seek, because your writing here is pretty bloody good if you ask me...
But I totally identify with that deep need to create. When I feel that urge and am unable to produce for whatever reason, I tend to get totally crazy with the desire.
Hope Moonshot is feeling better and I totally admire your collective efforts to pull this sleep thing off. It will take care of itself way sooner than you can imagine but will feel awful in a hundred ways in the process. I'll be thinking of you. Not that it will help, but I will.
May the Library Gods (and Plato)smile down upon you. :-)

One Wink at a Time said...

ps I meant "excrutiatingly"

Moksha Gren said...

UPDATES:

Story - I just returned from about two hours at the library. I can't say the output was superb, but by god it was output. I now have the first few pages of a rough draft. Huzzah!

Norah - It's been a mixed bag. She out stubborned Moonshot yesterday and managed to score a bit of arm sleep time. I can't say that I would have done any better considering she "screamed like a banshee all day." Well..actually I did say something to that effect last night to my scream-worn wife in a moment of Ray Barone level husband stupidity. But I'll not talk about that. Anyway, last night's bed time found Norah offering only 10 minutes of mild complaints. "This is working!" we thought. She slept through the night and today found us assuming we could now use the "let her cry" method for her naps. Well...we may have jumped the gun. To any unfortuanate souls in the general vacinity who may be picking up our baby monitor on their radio or phone, I can only apologize and ask you nicely not to call child services...she's not being tortured nearly as badly as she makes it sound

Moksha Gren said...

Si - If it was just that we had to rock her to speep...I think we'd just deal with it. The problem is that if she falls asleep in your arms...she will wake the instant she touches her crib. This leads to a situation in which Moonshot is never able to get away from her to get anything done for the house or for herself...she has to hold her for all of her naps. So, it is worth it to us to fight this fight.

We're learning that after a few minutes of crying, just walking in and standing next to her will sooth her enough that she will fall asleep. We're still experimenting.

Yeah, ever since we moved the tv upstairs to the living room, I've become much more knowledgable about sitcom trivia like character last names...sadly.

Anonymous said...

Will we of the blogosphere be allowed to read this piece of no-longer-Platonic perfection when it is written?

Mark said...

Ben cried SO LOUDLY that we were fortunate that this phase didn't last long for him. As were our neighbors. When I walked Lexie out front, I could hear his wails loud and clear.

Now, for the loud rockers. Glad you had the guts to go over there and ask them to simmer down. I wrote a free-verse, run-on-sentence poem about noisy neighbors once.

Sitting through the crying is tough, man. We'll be thinking about you.