Thursday, December 21, 2006

Maintaining Christmas

My Christmas spirit has been lagging this week…thrown for a loop by the power of my own imagination. Normally at this time of the year, I am rushing madly about in a festive but last-minute effort to get all my shopping done as I whistle jolly tunes to myself. This year has been different.

Moonshot and I have, for the last several years, alternated Thanksgiving and Christmas between my family and hers. It’s a typical arrangement, I think, for married folk with no kids. This year we spent the Day o’ the Turkey with MoMa while Husker and Panache get us for Christmas in Iowa.

The problem with my holiday mood begins with the fact that MoMa and Jet are Christmas nuts. Actually, they’re nuts about any excuse for a family get-together, but Christmas really gets them going. They revel in the pageantry of the season and stack huge assortments of gifts under the trees. They cook apple cider and invite friends and family over to sing carols on Christmas Eve. They stuff stockings for each other and wear festive hats while unwrapping the presents. They cheer for good gifts and call out “Next! Next!” to Jet as he serves his role as Santa and fetches the next package. The Iowa folks, on the other hand, are more subdued. Holidays with them are more relaxed affairs focused primarily on quiet time together. They go to candlelight church service enjoy the peace that is Christmas morning.

Now, I really do love both of these approaches and it’s wonderful to have one of each style of Christmas each year. I grew up with the rowdy paper-shredding festivity of my family so it feels natural to join in the chaos. Conversely, the time to prop up my feet and breathe in Iowa is always a welcome rest during the stressful holidays. However, there was a tradition I had not even been aware of until this year. No matter where we were on the 25th, the Iowa Christmas has always come first. This year, however, we switched the order. And it has doomed me to a Scrooge-like denial of the upcoming holiday.

Last Saturday night found Jet sleeping in our living room and MoMa in the guestroom. We did everything we could to convince ourselves that it was Christmas Eve so that we could wake in the morning and really feel that electric charge. The problem is…I think it worked too well. As the last tattered bits of brightly colored wrapping paper had settled to the floor and Norah sat surrounded by the piles of new toys she had aquired, some trigger deep in the recesses of my mind switched off the Christmas lights and declared the holiday season complete.

And to compound the issue, we’ve got all the shopping done…something that has NEVER happened this early. Can it be Christmas without hectic, last-minute mall runs? And it certainly doesn’t help that the weather has been rainy and depressing. It’s just not the kind of weather that makes you want to whistle “Sleigh Ride.” All these factors have added up to a mental state in which I am looking forward to going up to Iowa, but have to keep reminding myself that we’re going there to celebrate Christmas. The radio announces that there are shopping days left and I am shocked every time. I walk around our decorated house and in the back of my mind I’m thinking about taking it all down. I’m fighting the good fight here, but I think I’ll need some help. I’m hoping Husker and Panache have cider and carols…otherwise I may just stare at them with confusion when they hand me a present.

Jolly Green, Rollin’ Along

As a belated update on Norah’s continued development, I am pleased to announce that Norah has displayed her skills at the tummy-to-back roll maneuver. While there were three witnesses to this wonderful achievement, it almost occurred that I alone saw it.

MoMa had planned on heading back home Sunday afternoon but was convinced at the last minute to stick around until Monday morning. “You’re the owner of a business that can operate one day without you. What better reason to take advantage of that than to spend Christmas with your granddaughter?” I said as Moonshot sang, “Cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon,” in the background. Quite an effective double-team.

That evening, MoMa and I were playing with the Little Miss; watching her thrash contentedly about during her tummy-time while Moonshot played the piano. As Norah’s attempts got closer and closer to the tipping point, I called Moonshot over.

“She’s been that close all week,” she replied calmly. She kept playing for about half a minute before strolling leisurely into the living room. Not ten seconds after she arrived, Norah crested the rolling point and flopped onto her back with a huge grin. We cheered so loudly that Norah started to cry. Nothing like a little positive reinforcement, eh? Not wanting her only roll-over experience to end in terror, we promptly flipped her back over and she once again flopped herself right back onto her back. We cheered again…but more softly and with big, silly happy faces that made her smile back at us.

Since that time, Norah has decided not to showcase her new talent again. Having witnessed this pattern in her development before, I am not surprised. The child delights in teasing us with these advances and then taking them away while she ponders the deep implications of her newfound power. However, the fact remains…the days in which our daughter will stay where you put her are numbered.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moksha, you should come visit me. I still have to shop for TALTAP. I need to wrap every gift we've bought. There is only a wreath on the door. I have the cards out on a table, but I'm pretty sure they are not getting sent this year. There is lots of Christmassy stuff to do:)
I've always wanted to sing Christmas carols outside of church as a celebration. We always had only immediate family at Christmas,like I'm guessing Moonshot had, so everything was very low key. Pretty soon, you'll have to decide what kind of christmas tradition you want to set for your house with Norah.

One Wink at a Time said...

Elsa has a very good point. In the last couple of years, our "out of town" kids decided they'd like their kids to wake up at home on Christmas. I agree 100% but it's not the same as having everyone here on Christmas morning...
Have you noticed we've all been using the word "nuts" a lot lately?
If we don't see ya, you and Moonshot have a safe trip and a wonderful holiday. Give Norah a big kiss for us.

One Wink at a Time said...

Simon, deep fry the bird. Whatever you do, take the sack o'extra stuff out of it first.

Moksha Gren said...

Elsa - I think the Gren family Christmas will probably be somewhere in between the two current traditions. We're trying to convince my family to go easy on the Norah gifts (we'll see how that goes). But yeah, forging our own traditions will be fun.

Can't wait to see you two in Cedar Rapids tomorrow. Have a safe trip down.

Wink - I think we'll probably travel again next Christmas...but after that Norah will be old enough that we'll start staying home for it. Family will of course be invited, but sleeping in her own bed will become an important part of the holiday.

Jet - Well...I'd like to take all the credit for this year's amazing achievment, but I can't. Moonshot did alot of it and even the shopping I did was done after she pushed me out the door.

Si - I'm feeling a bit more Christmasy myself. The sun came out. And while I'd rather have snow...sunshine is far more festive than drizzle from a grey sky. I'm whistling again ;)

Enjoy your new traditions with your family and good luck with the turkey.

Cheeseburger Brown said...

Dear Moksha & Moonshot,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Love,
Cheeseburger Brown

One Wink at a Time said...

Jet, I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart. Quick, who sings that? If you get the answer right, you can stop calling me Peeping Winkie.
Have a great one, Funny Guy :-)

One Wink at a Time said...

Smart ass. :-Þ
Maybe PW wouldn't sound so perverted...
Regardless, hope you have a truly great Holiday :-)

Mark said...

We wanted to do the whole "our kid wake up in our own home for Christmas" thing. We tried our best, but then he ended up waking in a cheap motel instead. Longer story there, but I haven't managed to write it yet.

Go Norah, you rollover queen! Milestones like this are great, especially when you needed a little Christmas spirit boost.

One Wink at a Time said...

MG: If you had time to check my site 3-4 times today (thanks, sitemeter *wink*) you had time to write a new post... ;-P

Moksha Gren said...

Wink - Yeah, yesterday was frustrating for me. I was working on mind-numbing financials for our business and every hour or two I'd need a break. I'd make the rounds about the blogs, hoping for some new comment to distract me. Sadly, the blogosphere was quiet. A thirty second round of blogs is much easier to justify than sitting down to write a full post. But thanks for keeping such close tabs on me ;)

One Wink at a Time said...

Ah, man. That would have made me insane. I would have needed way more distraction. I do, however, feel bad that I didn't have something up that would have entertained you!