Friday, August 25, 2006

Two Sad Moments

A Sad Moment for Pluto

I have absolutely no reason to care whether Pluto is considered a planet or not. It changes nothing about the actual nature of the Universe and certainly changes nothing about my life specifically. And yet I find myself saddened as Pluto orbits away into the planetary underworld. And what makes it even more confusing is that I actually agree with the IAU’s decision on this, I was just hoping they’d make a different one.

In the end it boils down to the fact that adding is more fun than subtracting. Logic specific to the case at hand doesn’t matter…it’s just more fun to add. It’s why I get excited about new expansion teams even though I don’t think it really adds anything to the competition of the sport. It just tickles the mind in an enjoyable way to assimilate new items into a category you were previously familiar with. I remember just rolling the phrase “Carolina Panthers” around for a while…trying to get used to it when that team was announced. And although I agreed that the Browns was clearly the correct name for Cleveland’s expansion team, I was horribly disappointed simply because I was denied my joy of addition.

And that’s why I was rooting for Charon, 2003 UB313 (“Xena”) and even brave little Ceres to be allowed into the club. Ok, I wasn’t thrilled with the addition of Ceres since it’s clearly an asteroid. But, I was willing to let it in just so I could have the fun of saying, “Wow, three new planets!” Even though I knew in my heart of hearts that Pluto should probably never have been a planet in the first place, I was pulling for it and the others just so I could have the fun of saying, “Wow, three new planets!”

In the end, I’m glad that the members of the IAU are not so ruled by their childish impulses as I am. My system would probably have 30 more planets added in the next decade. Children failing out of school due to an inability to memorize all 42 and astrologers pulling their hair out, unable to invent areas of governance for so many planets. In other words…pure chaos.

So, I’m sad to see Pluto go. But I take heart in the knowledge that there is now a new kind of planet…a dwarf planet. So, while their probably won’t ever be a new planet, I can now get excited about adding to the dwarf planet category. I can root for Quaoar, Sedna, Orcus and countless others. I can delight if they declare Pluto and Charon a binary system (much cooler than a simple planet/moon system). And I can take comfort in the fact that while they may have stripped Pluto of its planetary status, it will always be the very first dwarf planet. Which ain’t such a bad consolation prize, I guess.


We were once so close to Heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned.
They Might Be Giants


A Sad Moment For Humanity

Yesterday Morning:

I am driving to an insurance class (I have to get my insurance license for a project at work). I left home in plenty of time, so I opt to make my way from I70 to Olive by taking Creve Coeur Mills Rd…the scenic route in other words. I’m merrily cruising past the farms and parks, singing along with Old Crow Medicine Show until I reach Olive. And right on the corner of Olive and Creve Coeur Mills there is an accident. No cars are getting by from our little country road and there was no way I am turning back around since I’m less than a quarter mill from my class by this point. Luckily, there is a service road I can get to that runs up and around the Fern Ridge High School (where Duke teaches) and hits Olive just a block east of the accident. Good plan I think to myself. The traffic is backed up heading west (since that run toward the accident) but the eastward lanes are pretty open (also due to the accident). All I have to do is hope that someone will kindly let me slide past them so I can execute a left turn into the open eastward lanes. It will cost them nothing, I reasoned, and most the time you can find one or two kind souls.

However, once I duck around the high school, I find four other cars sitting, waiting to make the same turn I had imagined. And no one is letting them by. Westbound cars are inching their bumpers closer together to keep us from gaining access to the eastbound lanes. Despite our clear blinkers that indicate that we have no intention of jumping in front of them…they glare at us and jockey around to make sure they form no gap. How asinine is this? However, if this was the extent of their assholishness, I would not be writing this down. But at this point a school bus full of kids arrives in the turning lane. They too need only pass through the traffic and will cause no delay to the folks who are waiting in very near standstill traffic. And yet the cars continue to inch closer to each other to prevent the bus’s access to the school. At this point I’m amazed at the level of selfishness. No…not selfishness. Selfishness implies that they are gaining something for their efforts and just don’t care enough about others to give up some of that gain. But these jerks are gaining NOTHING. They are apparently blocking a school bus for the sheer joy of blocking it. After three or four cars eep past our intersection and fail to let the bus through, the bus driver gently edges the nose of his bus into the traffic and forces a woman in a green SUV to pause while he makes his way across the road. My jaw literally dropped as Ms. Green SUV’s face turns red and she begins screaming through her windshield at the bus driver. While I have no idea what she is saying, I am certain that it is unkind since both middle fingers have flown into insult position and she is leaning into her passenger seat so that her crude gestures can track the target of her rage a bit longer. That’s right, she’s flipping off a bus full of kids because the driver had the audacity to edge his bus in front of her, thereby forcing her to do what she should have volunteered to do on her own had she been a decent human being. He caused her no delay, he injured he in now way. He merely kept her from having her bumper glued to the car in front of her for a total of maybe 20 seconds…and for that, she lost her friggin’ mind. Ah, humanity at it’s best.

However, I will say that after watching this display, the cars behind Ms. Green SUV felt guilty and let me and all four of my patient friends into the eastbound lanes. So perhaps there is hope.
And what’s bothersome is that St. Louis was just ranked one of the friendliest driving cities in America. Scary.

So, if you’re out and about in your car today…be extra courteous and maybe even let a driver or two in front of you…there’s some nasty karma in the form of a green SUV out there that we need to balance out.


5 comments:

Cheeseburger Brown said...

Dear Moksha,

I was more sad to read about that whole "centre of orbit" quibble which one again shafted fine worldlets like Titan from joining the planet clique. It is arguablty more of a bona fide planet than Mercury is.

Yesterday I had the fun of having to translate Pluto/Charon's new designation for our Swiss au pair girl: "C'est une planete-nain."

As for humanity: forget that lot. The future is hyper-intelligent shades of the colour blue.

Love,
Cheeseburger Brown

Anonymous said...

I'm with Moksha in agreeing with most of what the IAU wrought. I was surprised only by the fact that "pluton" got no love as the name for the new category, and we're stuck instead with the unwieldy, silly "dwarf planet". I predict that the next objects classified into this category will be "Happy", "Sneezy", "Bashful"...

We should think of the children (please, won't somebody?), but not so much for the fact that they have more or less memorization to do as for how this points out how vacuous all vocabulary-based elementary and secondary science curricula are. Many of the basic concepts in science (planet, species, organism, etc.) are taught as if they were theological terms; they are really just tools for scientists that may be altered or discarded as the need arises. A high school graduate might well have no idea how arbitrary and imprecise the term "species" is, or how irrelevant it is to biology. It's just a confusing "truth" handed down from authority. Is it any wonder that people see creationism as a valid alternative?

This event would be a perfect opportunity to encourage students to think about the process of science, as distinct from its summaries in the popular media. Why do astronomers define solar objects in one way and not another? How do the words we use to describe them affect how we study them, and vice versa? How has technology affected the way we study and think about solar objects? What other concepts might require reworking on the basis of possible new observations?

Even better than encouraging students to think about the process of science would be to actually engage them in the process, from a very young age. Of course, the average secondary student isn't going to independently discover Maxwell's laws, but that doesn't mean some observations of magnetism would be without value. It would take time to make sure the average graduate understands what science actually is. It would be difficult to memorize the entire taxonomy of a particular doorstop textbook if science were taught in a slower and more thoughtful way, but that never happens anyway. I've known lots of working biologists, and I can't think of one who could rattle off the names of the 57 phyla (or was that 59?). Any one of them could talk with excitement about her research, what it might indicate about life, and what really mysterious puzzle had just been revealed.

Circus-vaulting from one high horse to another, as a bicycle commuter in Los Angeles, I am never surprised by any stupid, vile, lazy, incompetent, dangerous, pointless, or illegal action ever taken by anyone behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. When I assume that a blinking turn signal indicates an imminent turn, I blame myself just as much as I do when I assume that its absence indicates otherwise. I am a student of which hesitations presage a flip-flop lane change and which accelerations portend a split-second right hook. I have been brushed by inattentive drivers; I have been brushed by attentive drivers. I am told by messengers that the day will come when I really hurt my hand banging it on a car roof and will start using a bike lock instead. I know which trucks will pull around a bike and give it plenty of room at 50 mph (plumbers and tradesmen but never delivery trucks), and which cars prefer to pass within 4 inches of a handlebar rather than hang one tire over a dotted white line into an empty passing lane (BMWs and Volvos, especially with dealer-installed bike racks [!]). I have cursed 18-wheelers into the other lane, and I've done the same to minivans.

I've seen it all, and I've come to the (frighteningly liberal, for me) conclusion that it isn't the people, it's the system. Or rather, 95% of poor, fallen humanity of the past, present, or future would react in the same way to our current transportation predicament, so it's past time to consider some changes. This isn't "cars that use less gas" (although that would be an improvement of sorts), this is "life without cars". One way to know that this is a good idea is the fear and vitriol of the reactions to it. The way it will happen is that ordinary people will grow disgusted with what they have, and they will imagine what they can do differently. Not what industry or government could do for them, but the specific concrete actions they could take to improve themselves and their communities. Step one: ride a bike.

In the meantime, if you're concerned about karma, pass cyclists the same as you would any other vehicle, by going around them. The only reason that hell exists is to provide a special place for those who blow cyclists off the road because they're in a hurry to get to the trailhead and try out their new Trek.

Moksha Gren said...

Cheeseburger:
I'm actually fine with the "'center of orbit' quibble." It makes alot more sense to me than the "must clear its orbit" quibble...since even Earth hasn't really done that. As far as sci-fi's best friend, Titan, there's no shame in being a moon. Some of the coolest worlds Han Solo ever stepped foot on were moons. So Titan need not be a planet for us to dream of colonies snuggled next to methane lakes.
And as long as blue never flips off a bus full of children...I figure it's already one up on us.

Jet:
Yeah, it's a bit easier to have faith in the fundamental goodness of people when you're not surrounded by them.

Oaf:
Seriously, dude...you need to get yourself a blog. I mean...I'm more than happy to see novels written in my comments...but I think you wrote more than I did. You are a man in need of an outlet, sir. Still, you make some good points. I had also liked the idea of Pluto's demotion as a lesson in the realities of science. However, I actually prefer dwarf plant to pluton. Your taste in names has always been a bit suspect (who names a dragon Gumbledinglebop?). And I think pluton would have referred to specifically Pluto-like objects in the Kuniper Belt...a subset of dwarf planet. And they just didn't decide on a name for that subset. So you can still cross your fingers for "plutons" if I understand correctly.
I admire your commitment to biking. I was hitting the Katie Trail pretty regularly last Fall...but never picked it back up this Spring. Pedal on, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Point taken. JoCo has an interesting take on Pluto's sadness. I love it that anthropomorphism is the default reaction.

Moksha Gren said...

Thanks, Oaf for yet another cool Coulton song. I keep forgetting to check there regularly.
I tend to anthropomorphize most things. And it's especially easy when the thing is named after a mythological deity.