Thursday, May 29, 2008

Three Thoughts About Time

I’m too tired tonight to post pictures tonight. Sorry if that disappoints you, but take comfort in the knowledge that all you’re missing are poorly framed shots of Eastern New Mexico, Northern Texas, and Western Oklahoma. In other words (and I mean no offense to those who live there) it’s not exceedingly scenic. Or rather, there is a beauty to it, but it stays about the same for duration. I snapped some pictures, but just don’t have the energy right now to post them

More importantly though, I wanted to take these few minutes before I go to sleep to talk about time. Three points about time as a matter of fact.

1) I’m back on schedule!! It seems Robert, our shareholder in Oklahoma already gathered everything from the OKC and Tulsa locations and needs me to do nothing here. So, while I am a day late arriving in Oklahoma City, I will arrive in Wichita precisely on time. Cosmic, eh? The map has been updated accordingly.

2) I’ve returned to the same time zone as my wife and daughter. This may seem like a small deal, but whenever you have to ask yourself, “What time is it there?” the distance just feels so much more terrible. So, while I still won’t see Moonshot or Little Lutine for a few days, I no longer have to do time adjustments before I call.

3) My wife asked me today if I was sick of driving yet. I was sort of surprised to find that I was not. There are many things about this trip that I will happily complain about, but the cross-country driving is not one of them. And this is odd considering the fact that after a two and a half hour trip to see my Mom, the last half hour is unbearable. On a four and a half hour trip to see my in-laws, the last half hour is unbearable. Apparently, I can tolerate any length of travel that I schedule…but not a minute more. I suspect, therefore, that the last half hour of this trip will be horrendous. Strange place, the human brain.

And with that, my dear friends, I am off to sleep in a hotel room just north of Oklahoma City that looks exactly like the one I slept in last night in Albuquerque. No, wait, the TV in this room is better…but other than that, it’s like I drove in an 8-hour circle.


Moksha Tracker


  • Miles Driven: 1033
  • Miles to Go: 830




  • Tucson, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Phoenix, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Albuquerque, NM: 3 Stores

  • Oklahoma City, OK: 4 Stores

  • Tulsa, OK: 2 Stores

  • Wichita, KS: 3 Stores

  • Topeka, KS: 1 Store and a Huge Storage Locker

  • Lawrence, KS: 1 Store

  • Kansas City, KS: 1 Store

  • Columbia, MO: 1 Store

5 comments:

Josh & Emily said...

glad to hear your back on track.

Mark said...

Yay! You're going to make it on schedule.

I've driven through Wichita many times, so I can sum up for everyone pretty quickly. I won't, however, just to see what you do with it.

Have fun!

Simon said...

Oddly, my first thought was that this is the first time I've ever heard something nice said about a shareholder.

Other than that, I'm happy that you're back on schedule, if for no other reason than your family gets you back on time. (Assuming the rest of the schedule behaves, which is never a certainty of course.)

I'm rather fond of long drives as well, so I can relate to not minding the driving part of the trip. That last bit where you're not *quite* there yet can be a bit unbearable though.

émilie b said...

Road trips you make frequently don't have the new scenery factor that this trip has, so that may explain why you're ok with the driving.

Still enjoying the map.

Mark said...

émilie b said it right -- the "I've grown accustomed to your face" trips are the ones that get downright brutal. I always love a road trip to somewhere new (or, don't mind it, at least).