Saturday, May 24, 2008

This Is Not a Blog Post

I know, I know…you got all excited when your RSS feeder buzzed or you saw a new title here on the Impish Gren. But sorry to say, this isn’t really a blog post. I’m not here to share new goings-on exactly. Instead, I’m here to discuss other blog posts; some already posted, some soon to arrive. Together, these past and future posts can shed a bit of light on what this rather lazy blogger has been up to of late. But this post, in and of itself, has almost no real information within it.

First the stuff from the past. A couple weeks ago (has it really been that long?) my fellow Blogfathers, Mark and Simon, descended upon my humble city in search of amusement and comradery. It was the first of what we hope will become recurring get-togethers and given amount of fun we all seemed to have, that looks likely. I had big plans of writing up a detailed retelling of exactly what happened while they were here…but see…Mark is just so much more diligent that I am. He started posting this tale the day his plane landed back in Dallas. Fact is, I had so much fun following along with his telling that I pretty much gave up any illusion that I was going to do the same in my own voice. Instead, I’ll put up this non-post and tell anyone interested in seeing the blast we had over the May 10th weekend to jog over to Mark’s site. That link will take you to the first of, like, six posts he did on the weekend. Like I said, diligent. And if a tale about me isn’t enough to get you over there…there are a few pictures of Norah as well.

Now on to the future…next week, in fact. By the time the sun rises this Tuesday, I will be at the airport preparing to depart for Arizona. What will follow will be a grueling tale I look forward to complaining about for years to come. As you know, the company I work for and own (a teeny-tiny fraction of) sold all of its stores back in February. I had anticipated that this would mean less work for me and a swift absence of a job. Instead, the chaos that ensued meant more work right after the sale and a slow dwindling of my job. It now looks like I’ll be done there by mid-June…we’ll see. Anyway, each of our 40 or so stores had a bunch of old computer equipment and loads of paperwork. At first our Pres and CEO said, “forget all that stuff, it’s not worth the trip out there to get it.” As much as it pained me to let all those electronics go to waste, I couldn’t really disagree with him and was more than happy to ignore the problem. However, about a week ago, the Pres came to the conclusion that while the hardware was still not worth the trip…the paperwork was. Mad rushing about followed as I booked a flight to Tucson, Arizona and a 24-foot moving truck in time to gather the boxes and equipment from 23 or so of the remote locations before the deadline imposed by the folks that bought our stores: May 31st. After that…they start pitching stuff, they say.

Ok, so flight out on Tuesday, twenty-seven hours of drive time along my route (not counting the jogs from store to store) and figuring about 1 hour load-time per store I calculate I should hit my last store in Columbia, Missouri about an hour before closing time on Saturday, May 31st. If I fall behind schedule, I miss the last store.

I’m planning to bring my camera and laptop along for the ride. And since wireless access is fairly ubiquitous in hotels these days, I should (given a lack of exhaustion) be able to post the day’s events on a nightly basis from my hotel. Once again…we’ll see, but I wanted to lay the groundwork now so that I don’t have to waste precious, precious minutes explaining the set-up on Tuesday night.

Stay tuned.



Moksha Tracker


  • Miles Driven: 0
  • Miles to Go: 1,996




  • Tucson, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Phoenix, AZ: 3 Stores

  • Albuquerque, NM: 3 Stores

  • Oklahoma City, OK: 4 Stores

  • Tulsa, OK: 2 Stores

  • Wichita, KS: 3 Stores

  • Topeka, KS: 1 Store and a Huge Storage Locker

  • Lawrence, KS: 1 Store

  • Kansas City, KS: 1 Store

  • Columbia, MO: 1 Store

7 comments:

Josh & Emily said...

This is not a comment, just a sentence.

Mark said...

I'm glad you posted the Moksha Tracker. I am out of the loop a little this weekend, as we are on our annual Memorial Day weekend pilgrimage to Tulsa. I'm pretty sure we'll be gone from here before you come by. E-mail me where the store is. Maybe I'll make your stop interesting somehow.

Anonymous said...

Eww! A plane ride just to get in a bumpy truck to drive. Is someone at least going with you?

émilie b said...

Ugh. Good luck.
The tracker should make it fun, though. :)

Moksha Gren said...

Jet - If it weren't for the fact that this isn't a response to your sentence, but rather a mere sentence fragment.

Mark - I appriciate your desire to spice up my trip...but think it would be unwise to pester the new owners too much. They are already a bit upset with us for waiting 4 months to come pick this stuff up ;) Hurray for procrastination!!!

Elsa - My brother had planned on coming with me, but our store will need his attention on Tuesday. We toyed with having him catch up with me in New Mexico, but it all just seemed too complicated for something he didn't really want to do anyway...and who could blame him ;)

Emilie - Thanks. I hope to keep up with the tracker, but I make no promises ;)

Anna said...

I am pretty sure that was a post dude. Seriously. I will be watching your tracker. I wish I you could take me to Lawton OK...that is where my grandfather lives and I could visit him!

Have a safe trip!

Simon said...

I love the irony of how you refuse to write when you do have (some) spare time at home, and now, when you're going to be hard-pressed to eke out enough time for sleep over the next week, you intend to flagellate yourself with blog posts from hotel rooms in between tepid showers and bad food from the free continental at the Super-8.

Seeing the Gren applied TO the Gren is oddly satisfying.

Good luck both with the trip and keeping up with tracking it for us. Just think: if you do actually write about it daily, it'll be more like there are actual folks on the drive along with you.