Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Gotta Call You Back…My Dad’s Being a Jerk

For your literary entertainment, a snapshot of 19-month old Norah’s current problem solving skills:

Entering the kitchen, I see her marching about with the portable phone to her ear.

“Hi!” she blurts into the receiver. “Yayayayamaaaaaa!” she continues while waving her free hand in the air. She then lowers the phone and begins hitting buttons. I hear a faint dial-tone and remember the various occasions that she has accessed the speed dial, calling unsuspecting friends and family. I take the phone away.

Tiny hands reach past a pouting face. “Da!” she demands.

“No, honey, you’re going to have to find something else to play with.”

She shoots a reproachful glare at me and then stomps off toward the sunroom. She heads directly to the stack of flash cards that have been left on the ottoman. Finding the card with the phone on it, she hoists it to her ear.
“Hi!” she blurts into the faux receiver. “Yayayayamaaaaaa!”

7 comments:

Mark said...

I thought at first she was just going to use the pack of flash cards as a phone -- but she actually picked out the card with a phone on it.

Einstein called; he wants his brain back!

Simon said...

The cardinal rule that every toddler abides by:

I WILL NOT BE DENIED!!

Amy said...

Cute, very cute. It is really lucky for you she is a versatile kid. Tavish would just stand there and cry with his hands up reaching for whatever you just took away. Very heartbreaking to see. Norah shows signs of being very resourceful. Good trait.

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - I agree. She often startles me with the things she puts together in her wee mind.

Simon - True enough. And with two rather stuborn parents...she's pretty much destined to grow good, strong anchors on her heels.

Amy - Oh, she tries that on occasion as well, but quite often she goes for the creative route. I've been trying to teach her the fine arts of MacGuyverisms. I'm thrilled to see she's picking it up.

Josh & Emily said...

She was actually on the phone with her favorite uncle JET. She was in the middle of telling me how much she missed me and then she was rudely interupted....jerk.

Anonymous said...

That's quite clever.

But really... A girl NEEDS her own phone. ;)

Anna said...

OK, not that this is a sign of times to come BUT...

my 15 year old daughter does that EXACT same thing...

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

;)