Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I Am A Wartime General

Over the last few years, I have come to realize that I am an excellent wartime general…but a fairly mediocre one in peacetime.

I have only the most vague sense of a job description. This lack of clarity leads to stammering and pauses when asked what it is, exactly, that I do. Well…the best way to put it is that I’m the right-hand-man of the CEO of a multi-state consumer loan company that often dabbles in other industries. While I tend to focus on our technology needs, I do whatever needs to be done. Some days that may mean overseeing the development of our proprietary software or perhaps zipping around the country to open and manage 13 or so eBay drop-off stores. Other days it may mean rafter-walking an additional CAT-5 cable from the D-Mark to our servers so we can access our newest T-1. Some days it means teaching a class to our store managers so they know how to use some new feature of our software. Other days it means planning layouts for our webpage or hiring an electrician to fix the parking lights or meeting with the heads of state financial agencies to discuss regulations. The list goes on because in a company that runs as lean as we do, the upper management wear many hats. Generally, I like this variety. Each day is a bit different than the last and for the most part, I get to choose which situation I’m handling and which situation I’m delegating. On most days, I like my job.

In addition to being a nice situation on a daily basis, it has also afforded me the opportunity to see what sort of situations I gravitate toward. I can look back over six years of work and can now see a fairly obvious trend in the sorts of tasks I chose, the sorts of tasks I excelled at, and the sorts of tasks on which I did less than stellar. And what I see is that I am a wartime general.

I like a short-deadline crisis. My mind snaps into focus amidst the crossfire chaos of high-stress multitasking. Got a time critical project that requires work from varied groups within the company and an understanding of how those groups relate? No problem. Just drop me behind enemy lines with a survival knife and a ball of string and you’ll have your product on time. I like making fast decisions and seeing the results of those decisions spin off in real time.

Conversely, long-term projects will never fail to make my mind wander. When the gunfire stops and the general is asked to cease building emergency triage units and instead put his mind to designing a well-thought out hospital that will serve the community for years to come…this general stumbles.

In fact, give me a long-term project and I’ll meander away from it and find crisis. I’ll tackle any and all unrelated problems that flow in until I’ve turned the long-term project I was supposed to be working on into a crisis…THEN I get interested.

And don’t get me wrong. I’m good as a consultant on the long-term projects. Let me swing by and take a quick overview of the project…I’ll make good observations and recommend useful changes. But don’t put the whole thing in my hands…it will flounder.

In retrospect it all seems very obvious that I would be this way. You see, I’m a procrastinator. I come by it naturally as my father was a procrastinator as well. Nature? Nurture? No idea. But he certainly passed it along. And as a procrastinator, I will inevitably put off a project until the last minute. Fortunately (or unfortunately since it has lead me to continue this trend) I am very good in those last few moments right before the bell. I remember being asked to get up in front of my Research Writing class during my sophomore year of college. Seems no one else had met the profs expectations and she felt certain that an explanation of the prep work that I had done on the project would help prove her point about the long process that is research writing.

“Well,” I said. “I did some research on Sunday morning. Started writing Sunday evening around 7 but got pulled away for a card game. Got back to writing around 11 or so. In the morning I ran spell check and read back through it once. Printed it up ten minutes before class and stapled it together as I was running across campus.” She never asked me about my prep work again.

And so, years later, I’m still that same guy. I cannot bring myself to do the prep work. I cannot keep up the energy needed to tackle such long-term projects. I need the adrenaline of chaos.
In the end, I guess what this means is that outside of my children I’m probably never going to create something truly amazing. Truly amazing takes either a) planning or b) enough prior dedication to craft that inspiration seems natural. I have neither. However, I have a niche. When the shit really hits the fan and you’re no longer even trying for truly amazing…when time constraints and disorder mean reaching pretty damned good would be a miracle…I’m your wartime general.

15 comments:

Moksha Gren said...

Simon - Eek, a 12-month project with no little projects to distrat you? No wonder you surf the blogs so often. So, I guess in a way we should all be thankful for your horrid project. A Simon content with his job would probably be a far less interesting Simon from this vantage point.

And yes, panic shopping is really the only way to go for the holidays. I'd never thought of throwing in physucal peril to my loved ones as an added incentive, though. But now that you mention it...

Jet - Very true, I am an equal oppertunity procrastinator. I even procrastinate some of my favorite things. I remember up in Colorado when Matt and I were putting togther the Placer album, he made the mistake of mentioning that we had to have all the songs complete in three weeks in order to have enough time to make the number of copies we wanted. I think he thought that would motivate me to work faster. I had actually been working pretty steadily, but I instantly quit upon hearing that. A deadline three weeks away? It seemed such a waste to ruin the last minute fun. I ended up pulling two all-nighters getting that thing ready and finished the last song about fifteen minutes before Matt started burning cds. One of my finer moments.

Mark said...

This is so much like me, it's almost ridiculous. I think the procrastination is rooted in something deeper, like ADHD or Tourette's Syndrome (a very small percentage of the latter suffer from the vulgar vocal outbursts so commonly depicted in movies and TV).

I'll bet your desk is in a disarray of papers that you keep meaning to file, but just never stop to do it, because if you do, you don't know where to start.

Am I close?

One Wink at a Time said...

Now I see why we're all so in tune... Birds of a feather. I just popped in here for a sec, I'm running behind as usual and I see that I missed the previous post also. I'll be back, I promise, to give this the attention it deserves. Later. :-)

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - It's like you have a spy camera in my office.

Linda - I'd be curious to see the overlap between self-proclaimed procrastinators and bloggers. It's such a wonderful way to spend the moments while we're avoiding other tasks that I'm thinking many a procrastinator has gravitated to this hobby.

Simon - I like to keep my public guessing. Fire off four in a row and then dissappear for a few weeks. Psychology teaches us that like a slot machine, random reward is the best lure.

Further Thoughts - I was reminded of a conversation I had with Elsa (a fellow procrastinator) some months ago. We ened up admitting to each other than there is a small part of us that puts things off til the last minute as a defense mechanism to protect the idea of limitless potential we were taught as kids. I mean...if we ever really applied ourselves we would then know what our limit was. By always leaving the "it's pretty damned good for last minute" excuse we can always follow that with a mental "just imagine what I could do if I really put my mind to it." Are we procrastinators choosing mediocrity to protect the assumed perfection we pretend is just under the surface? Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

As a consummate non-procrastinator married to an inveterate procrastinator, I would like to add the following comment.... "AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!"

Anonymous said...

I'm with my sister...let me second that AAARRRGGHH! The more time I have to do something, the better. I'll make a nice schedule and a spreadsheet and some pretty charts showing how and when I'm going to complete the project before I even get started.
Also, I note in the last paragarph of this post you said 'children' rather than 'child'. Plural children, when to my knowledge you have only the one child. Was this a grammatical slip, a nod to future planned children, or HAVE YOU DONE SOMETHING TO MY SISTER AGAIN ALREADY, YOU GOAT? :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...*small pause to diagram the sentence* it IS in the future tense. Guess I shouldn't make comments about MG's grammar when I can't even spell paragraph right.

On a totally unrelated note, can I just state that I am completely depressed because my office closed at 2:30 today, but because I ride the bus I have no way to get home early, and therefore am having to sit here by myself while my co-workers have gone home? Pity me, blog-readers, pity me.

-Mouse, who thinks she has an excellent brother-in-law

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the closure was due to a icestorm. Vital bit of information, there.

Moksha Gren said...

Simon - That's it. You finally figured out the real message hidden in this post. I am, indeed, a wart...in a general sort of way.

Mouse - So the ice storm has hit KC already. I'm still sitting here next to an open window trying to keep cool. Bring on the cold, I say!

In your bus-waiting time, might I suggest reading some of the blogs of the fine folks who post here and have links in the sidebar. Cheeseburger writes excellent stories. Simon and Mark offer witty and insightful tales of thier own families with cute pictures of their kids. Linda (One Wink at a Time) has a new grandson she'd love to show off. You'll be sad when the bus finally arrives and pulls you away from the wonderful reading.

One Wink at a Time said...

Sheesh, did I miss the bus or what? Perfect example of what happens sometimes when one procrastinates. All the insightful, witty shit I had to say is now moot.
I'm going to say it now anyway minus the insightful and witty.
I procrastinate because I am basically a hedonist and if I'm not loving it, I ain't doing it. And then when I'm forced to by necessity or deadline, whatever, I'm doubly miserable. My avoidance tactic though is sometimes it's own reward. If I put something off long enough, often I end up having enough time to a) realize that it wasn't really that important anyway, or b) talk someone else into doing it. I know, I drive NPs (non-procrastinators) insane. But the turmoil I inflict upon myself is no less unnerving... God bless you, Moonshot ;-) Hi Mouse- Hope you have a safe trip home.
As I'm sitting here reading blogs, there are no less than 10 other things that I should be doing...
but I was quite happy until I realized this.
Moksha, DO YOU MAKE MUSIC???
(I believe that Procrasts are also easily distracted.)

Mark said...

What I wouldn't give to be able to plan a project in advance. Ironically, I taught Microsoft Project in a previous job, to engineers at a Glad manufacturing plant, and to same at La-Z-Boy (now that's a funny coincidence). Alas, I can't use MS Project for myself anymore than a chimp could.

When I did my directed teaching at the high school level, submitting lesson plans for the coming two weeks never quite happened for me. My supervising teacher, completely freaked out by this, once said, "Do you just plan to wing it?"

Um, well, yeah.

The kids responded well and learned. She gave me a "B" for lack of planning.

Anonymous said...

First-time poster over here, Moksha. As you can tell, I am extremely bored with my no-purpose, lackadaisical job... and, like everyone else, you have described me to a T -- right down to the last-minute paper-writing.

We need to find a way to harness this magnificent brotherhood of brilliant slouches.

Erica said...

Birds of a feather... when the pressure is not on, I find it quite difficult to focus on what I OUGHT to be doing in order to stay ahead, be prepared, etc so that when the inevitable last-minute crunch comes, I'm not frazzled. But if someone drops something on my desk and says "Stat!" I have no trouble knocking down walls to make it happen, if it's at all possible.

My trouble is the internet. It's RIGHT THERE. I find myself browsing for nothing at all, just opening up IE even if I have nothing on my mind. "Entertain me," I think. "Let me find something new... let me learn something... I wonder if that debate over Vader's inability to use Force lightning has been resolved on TheForce.net..."

(For the record, no.)

Moksha Gren said...

Linda - I try not to put things off just so someone else will do it for me...however, it's hard not to feel a bit rewarded fr the behavior when it happens.

I USED to make music. Matt and I put together a cd of mostly techno-ish music while we were living up in Colorado. We tried again with another friend of ours while living in New Orleans and worked in more vocals and guitar. Maybe someday, I'll be concinved to put some of the music on the blog. But no...I wouldn't say I MAKE music.

Mark - I bet the break room at the La-Z-Boy factory was sweet!

Sheik - Nice to have you aboard. Been seeing your name over at CBB's place, glad you came over. And yes...there'd be no stopping the force that we procrastinators could muster...if only we could start.

Erica - Yeah, I'd like to say the Internet has increased the amount of time I waste...but really it's just made the time I was going to waste anyway a bit more interesting. I've been known to spend time with stupid, stupid stuff rather that do what I should be doing.

On that note...everyone knows that Vader was plenty powerful enough to use force lightning...it just would have shorted out his suit ;)

One Wink at a Time said...

Jet, do you have a blog??? Yer funnee. I'm VERY interested in your brother's music. But neither of you will read this because it's on a post that's like a week old. I'm always a day short and a dollar late. Or something.