Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Battle of Bedtime

“Not yet,” I think. “Don’t….”

Tired baby wails float through the monitor and I can’t help but smile.

“No patience,” I comment to my wife.

She takes a sip of her wine and nods. “If there’s one thing a baby will teach you…it’s patience.”

“Sssshhhhh,” resumes the quiet sounds of Uncle Jet shoooshing his niece.

I snuggle deeper into the sofa cushions and imagine my poor brother in the darkness… fumbling through his first time putting Norah to sleep and I can’t help but be amazed at how much baby data I have learned in the last nine and a half months.

I used to shake my head in confusion as parents described the subtle differences between their child’s hungry cry and dirty diaper cry. My head hurt trying to wrap my mind around the multitude of minute signals they were constantly picking up on in order to ensure a non-screaming infant. I found it hard to believe I could commit so much to memory.

And yet, as I sit on the couch listening to my brother, I know that there was a time not so long ago when I was as clueless.

I commend Jet for his willingness to venture into this task. He comes over every Monday night to watch Heroes with us. Usually he sits out on the couch with whichever parent is not locked away with Norah, and then later offers to watch Norah any time we’d like some time away. A generous offer, and completely sincere…but unrealistic given that he has never changed a diaper nor coaxed a screaming child to sleep. So, we would occasionally offer for him to come over and watch Norah while we were here.

“We’ll just act like we’re not around and you can practice,” we’d offer.

“Yeah, we should do that,” he’d agree…but somehow this just never seemed to be how he wanted to spend a spare evenings.

So, this night, as we took Norah from her bath, Moonshot asked Jet if he’d like to take a turn putting Norah to bed. He agreed without hesitation.

I tried to give a few tips here and there before we abandoned them, but too many details would just overwhelm him. And really, there’s just no way to describe the relevant information anyway. There are no simple words to explain the way her muscles relax, giving you the go ahead to move her from your arms to the crib. There’s no good way to instruct someone on the thousands of tiny tricks associated with transferring a barely sleeping child onto a mattress. And the nuances of opening and reclosing the squeaky nursery door or which floorboards creak the loudest are difficult at best to convey. One must suffer through trial and error with the ever-looming penalty of angry screaming as a motivating factor to internalize these lessons.

And so I can do nothing but smile at my lovely wife, sip my wine, and cross my fingers for my brother as he ventures into the trenches for the first time.

Several more false starts are broadcast across the speaker and finally we hear the click-screech of the door as he makes his escape. Norah complains and I can hear her rolling over, but luck is with young Jet…she is tired enough to let the noise go unpunished.

He emerges with a haggard look on his face. I recognize that face. He accepts a glass of wine even though he doesn’t like wine. He says it’s because he is planning a trip to the wineries over the Memorial Day weekend with a wonderful Arkansan girl who is coming up to visit him and he feels he needs to learn to enjoy the drink…but I suspect that the battle of wills with Norah has something to do with his eager grip on the wine glass. I recognize that grip.

We start the show but I can’t help feeling like a battle-weary Sergeant. My weapons are stuffed animals and a gentle stroke of the forehead. I am well-trained in the art of the binky-decoy maneuver and have been desensitized to the sharp pain of nostril pinching. And have learned it all in nine and a half months.

We savor our wine.

I feel we’ve earned it.

18 comments:

Mark said...

Jet's meeting up with an Arkansas gal? Yeeeehaaww!!! I married one for myself!!

Yes, at this point you have a lot of those intangibles, things you cannot pass along in a procedures document. A useful childcare how-to manual would have to contain 100 pages for each child of the world, and that's a big book. Instead, we each write our own chapter in our heads and recall items from it like seasoned pros.

Jet might have felt in way over his head, but we all did at one point (or several). Still do, sometimes, even after almost four years!

Simon said...

There are also differences to be noted between the full-time and part-time parent (if you'll excuse the harsh labels). My wife still sometimes comes to my aid with an empathetic, "Mind if I try, Si?" I rarely feel marginalised when I bow to her greater experience. More often relief.

Still, the prospect of spending a night, day, or entire weekend alone and entirely responsible for the care and well-being of two wee things aged one and three no longer scares me in the least.

Is there a creature on Earth more adept at adapting to new environments and experiences than us humans? None that I've met.

Anonymous said...

I feel like an overprotective mom when the urge to note these things to people strikes - "actually, he's not too fond of being held like a football... see?" "hum, no, he doesn't need comforting, he needs milk..." "well, usually he'd fall right asleep.. don't worry, I expect it's just because it's someone new and it's too interesting for him, you know"

I like your way - calling it experience - better. :D

Josh & Emily said...

Mark, the wonderful Arkansas gal is meeting up with me. ha. Where in Arkansas is your gal from?
I realized Monday night, that I am in no way ready for a kid. I love my time with Norah, but for now, it is nice to play and not have to change poopy diapers and put her to sleep. My babysitting duties will pick up when she is 3.

Moksha Gren said...

Mark - I'm told by parents of teenagers that we'll all look back on these as the "easy years." I guess we should just be thankful that as complex as the mental manuals my be...at least we've come up with solutions.

I figured you'd get a kick from knowing Jet was wooing a girl from down in your neck o' the woods. Local gal if I understand it correclty. With Jet's knack for coincidence...I'm prepared to discover that you know this girl's family or something.

Simon - The differences between Moonshot and I were much more pronouced early on. I'm not as good as juggling other tasks while watching Norah...but as far as taking care of Norah...I don't often have to defer to my wife. Actually, more often I come to the rescue with a cool head when Moonshot has had enough frustration. I don't do any better...but I'm disgustingly laid back...and that comes in handy these days.

Emilie - It's almost painful to watch people bumble through these tasks you don't even remember learning. I was watching Jet try to put on Norah's diaper and it was all I could do to keep from just reaching in and doing it for him. It's so simple..I'm thinking. But, I remember our baby shower...I spent long minutes trying to figure out how to diaper a doll in a changing relay race. And the doll was holding still...so clearly I've learned a thing or two and just internallized it to such an extent that I can't imagine not knowing it.

Jet - Yeah...keep talking smack like that...and see if she still wants to make the drive up from Arkansas ;)

Mark and his wife are both from the Northwest Arkansas area. They're just deguised as Texans.

Anna said...

Warning....this is NOT going to help you with the battle of bedtime....

My 13 year old still gives me a hard time about going to bed? When does it end?

Anonymous said...

I remember when Sarah was right at the same age... 9 months or so and we went to leave her with grandma over night and I started rattling off all this stuff that I had picked up on the best ways to get her to go to sleep at night. Rock, little bit of bottle, put her down before she falls asleep, once you put her down, don't pick her up, pat her back if you have to, sleep. I remember looking at my husband and saying out loud, "when did I learn all of this?" It sure doesn't take long.

This whole parenting thing is one wacky ride. :)

Anonymous said...

Not to make an off-topic post, but when do we get to hear the conclusion of "Culvert Ops"?

Anna said...

St. Louis, huh? My daughter has gone to Kanakuk Kamp in the Ozarksa couple of times and we love driving through. Thanks for all your comments om my pics....sorry that I threw you off with my floral pic from the other day.... ;)

One Wink at a Time said...

Really nicely written post, with heart. Made me remember my own kids as babies and made me smile.
But yes, and I hate to even say it, this is the easy part. Take heart, tho. When you've gotten through the whole process of caring for and raising them, the rewards are worth it. And then some.

Anonymous said...

Hey I remember those days....phew...oh no now they are teenagers! Yikes!

Tell Jet to hang in there he'll get the hang of it but it will take a lot of practice :)

Anonymous said...

Nice take :) We're on our third here, and all that stuff just comes so naturally now... still, seeing it through the eyes of someone else has a nostalgic quality, similar to the fond way we'll remember this in years to come.

Also, my wife has taken up beer, since the first one, and we both became regular coffee drinkers with the second. I hope this little guy doesn't push us over into IV drug use...

Anonymous said...

Moksha,

What a fun blog it is nice to know that Jet can sit still for more than 30 seconds. You learn to enjoy a nice slow glass of wine once you have children.

As far as enjoying the younger years while they last, it is very true. At this time in my life with my children I have one 13 year old, and you know who I am talking about that doesn't like anything about being around me at all. I wonder sometimes the reason why we want them to be so smart and why we teach them to express their selves, and to give opinions. She is a wonderful girl, but I am telling you it is going to be a long few years!!!

I remember the time when I could rock my children to sleep. I really miss those times.

Love ya,

T

Moksha Gren said...

Anna - While I have no doubt that sleep related issues will return...I'm happy to report that over the last week...we've been once again working with our little girl on being put down awake and falling to sleep on her own. It's working beautifully. She's actually screaming less by herself than when we hovered. Seems we weren't being as helpful as we thought.

Plus...it's much better for our nerves

Hokey - It is amazing how quickly we learn...but with the stakes as high as our very sanity...we have a good incentive to learn fast. These are the sorts of life and death situation the human brain evolved to deal with ;)

Mouse - I just spoke with my network admin and we're planning to bring boots and ratty jeans tomorrow. Do a little lunch-time urban spelunking. Rest assured I'll post the results

Linda - Thanks. I know the issues we'll face will get more complex as our daughter herself gets more complex...but I'm looking forward to the challange.

Mike - As an uncle..he gets the option of picking her up when she's cute and handing her back when she's difficult. He doesn't really NEED to hang in there. It was cool that he opted to take a turn...but I doubt he'll be signing up again any time soon ;)

Sheik - Babies are gateway drugs, man. We've increase our stockpile of beer, wine, Bourbon, and Scotch in the last few months and put each to good use. Have to maximize the relaxation during those few hours of grown-up time. No time to breath deep and slowly find a peaceful place...we jump right on the Knob Creek expressway

T - Huzzah!! I had heard that you and a few of the other KC family members were lurking in the shadows of the blog. Glad to have you join us here in the light.

As for Jet sitting still...I don't think it happened. He stood up as soon as her eyes closed and then paced around. He doesn't do "still"

I'd heard young J has been playing the role of teenager accurately. The good news is she'll only be teenaged for a few years.

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. And tell any other KC lurkers you know of to muster up the courage to say hi. Everyone here is pretty nice (even the Canadians) so there should be no fear in posting comments.

Anna said...

I think it is great that you are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel with bedtime....I have always thought it was important that kids put themselves to sleep...whether it is a baby, a toddler, whatever....

Good job to you and your wife for the consistency it takes to break habits ans start new ones! :)

Melanie said...

I was here for the WW, but I happened to scroll down and read this post too.
I have a 7 month old, so I know exactly what you are talking about! I love how you write!

Anonymous said...

That was very well written entry and I feel it really captures a slice of life.

Also, you really couldn't tell him a lot that would help. After all, there is no substitute for experience.

Erica said...

I'm far, far behind in my reading. But this was a great post - you and Moonshot (and Norah too) have come so far!! I remember your "clueless" days - not clueless, just inexperienced. As you and others have pointed out, there's no substitute for experience.

Well done - so much more to come.
:-)
Erica